The Finance Committee works with the WCS Board of Directors (BOD) on the day-to-day finances and the financial strategic plan. It coordinates and delivers on the WCS budget for events, membership and board committees. The committee also manages investments, contracts, and accounts payable and receivable for WCS. This committee reviews financial statements and reports while being accountable for educating the board to conduct proper oversight to ensure strong financial health of the organization.
This person is explicit in directing the Finance Committee members and their functions. The Treasurer guides financial policies, assesses risks, determines funding opportunities, and advises on investment opportunities. As a Board Member, the Treasurer is part of the Executive Committee and is the Chair of the Finance Committee.
- Serves on the Board of Directors Executive Committee to develop and support WCS mission and strategies
- Provides strategic financial advice and oversight
- Directs Accounting, Bookkeeping, Planning/Budgeting, and Asset Management functions during Finance Committee meetings
- Leads the budget board review and approval process during the meeting in Dec/Jan alongside the Budget Manager
- Reviews monthly financial statements and issues Budget Summary Report to board of directors
- Proactively directs quality and timely oversight of finance activities (e.g., financial statement inputs, reports, significant variances, actual versus budget, etc.)
- Works with a third-party accountant to make sure the books are up to date and compliant with regulating agencies. Answer accountant’s questions on the nature of the expenses.
- Reviews and approves with WCS Chairwoman:
- Yearly tax filings
- Accounts payable (payments) and reimbursements
- Audits books quarterly, shared/alternated with Finance Director
Time Commitment & Expectations
- Fundraising goal of $2,500 for corporate membership/sponsorship
- Lead monthly Finance Committee meetings, attend monthly Executive Committee meetings, and attend quarterly Leadership meetings and quarterly Board meetings (via video-conference) and annual in-person leadership retreat
- 5 hours per week dedicated to WCS
- 2 year commitment
- Successful candidates will be required to sign a non-disclosure agreement
- Annual board dues $100
How to Apply
If interested, send your resume and a 1-paragraph summary of why you are interested in this role to email@example.com (300 words max) indicating why you are interested in the role. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Please put in the email subject line the finance position you are interested in. If you require any support applying online, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.