In the development of our goals to bring more Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) into WCS, we are deliberately and consciously focused on building our community and thinking about how we use our influence to grow, serve, and lift up.
After a deep look at our organization, community, and sphere of influence, we recognize we have a lot to celebrate. Since 2011, Women in Cleantech and Sustainability has made a measurable impact on gender equality and women’s empowerment in this industry, particularly in the Bay Area. However, we have more work to do. In response to the call for action on racial injustice, we feel our influence can be put to greater use. Our organization is expanding to ensure the community we create in the next ten years is diverse and inclusive, while cultivating a sense of belonging for anyone.
- 10% of board members identify as BIPOC (Black, indigenous, or person of color)
- 40% BIPOC volunteers
- 20% mentors identify as BIPOC
- Three or more BIPOC organizations as partners
- Introduce a scholarship-based membership program for BIPOC mentees
- Revisit our communications strategy to ensure we are building an inclusive brand
- Implement new surveys for our community so that we can track our progress against these goals and adapt our strategies
- Two events a year focused on Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
- Prioritize event partnerships with BIPOC-led organizations
- Have at least one non-white event host, moderator, panelist, or speaker at each event
- Include a panel of young BIPOC women to judge our pitch competition (paired with mentors)
As always, this work cannot happen without the dedication from and collaboration with our community. We all must rise to this challenge and build this movement together. We welcome your thoughts and suggestions on how to continue stepping towards a more sustainable future.
Please reach out to our founder and Chairwoman, Lisa Ann Pinkerton (firstname.lastname@example.org) to strengthen these efforts and promote change in our community, or send us your ideas on people and organizations you think we should collaborate with to ensure these goals are met and exceeded.