Position Type: Member of Women in Cleantech (WCS) Board of Directors
This is an unpaid volunteer position as part of a working board.
Anticipated Start Date: September, then candidate will be onboarded
Founded in 2011, Women in Cleantech & Sustainability is a nonprofit 501(c)6 organization made up of nearly 3,000 professional women and men building the green economy. Our members range from students and entry-level professionals to Founders, C-Suite executives, and investors.
As the Career Development Co-chair, you help run the Career Development committee and lead the Career Development efforts for WCS. You are a member of the WCS Board and will be influencing the strategic direction of the organization. You work closely with the other Career Development Co-chair, committee board members, Career Development volunteers, and coordinators to ensure that WCS has a strong brand and all events and programs are marketed effectively to WCS members. You are also responsible for leading the group of volunteers that are part of the Career Development committee.
Responsibilities & Duties
- Work closely with the other co-chair of Career Development to divide up responsibilities and other committees such as Marketing, Membership and the Volunteer Committee
- Determine most effective committee structure and help recruit volunteers to lead the different Career Development efforts and programs
- Schedule Career Development meetings and next steps for committee members
- Facilitate meetings
- Coach volunteer committee members
- Onboard new board members with the assistance of the Volunteer Manager, Coordinators, Director of Events and Secretary
- Update the Career Development material on the WCS website so its timely and relevant
- Delegate administrative tasks to the coordinators as needed
- Work with the board to define and articulate WCS organization & board priorities, vision, and goals
- Promote awareness of and participation in DEI goals in committee
Who you are: Skills and Experience
The below skills are preferred but not required for consideration:
- Experience in Career Development, project management, people management, or similar fields
- Enjoy meeting new people, facilitating Zoom calls and scheduling events
- Maintain confidentiality of board issues and volunteer data
- Passionate about empowering women in the cleantech and sustainability space
- Social media Career Development experience
- Experience in managing and leading a group of volunteers
- Build strong network of women in the sustainability field (board members and volunteers)
- Gain experience being in a nonprofit board setting
- Deepen Career Development and interpersonal skills, particularly in leadership, mentorship, and recruitment
- Gain experience in making and enacting executive-level strategy decisions
- Attend WCS events for free
- Stay informed of trends in the cleantech and sustainability industry
Time Commitment & Expectations
- Attend monthly Executive Committee meetings, quarterly leadership meetings and quarterly Board meetings (via video-conference) and annual in-person leadership retreat
- 5 hours per week dedicated to WCS
- 1 year commitment as board member or two years as a co-chair
- Successful candidates will be required to sign a non-disclosure agreement
- Fundraising goal of $2,500 for corporate membership/sponsorship
- Annual board dues of $100
How to Apply
If interested, send your resume and a 1-paragraph summary of why you are interested in this role to email@example.com (300 words max) indicating why you are interested in the role. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Please email with the heading “Co-Chair Career Development Committee Application: [Name]” If you require any support applying online, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you to everyone who takes the time to apply. Only selected applicants will be notified.