Volunteer Events Co-Chair | Women In Cleantech & Sustainability
Position Type: Member of Women in Cleantech (WCS) Board of Directors
This is an unpaid volunteer position as part of a working board.
Anticipated Start Date: ASAP, then candidate will be onboarded
Founded in 2011, Women in Cleantech & Sustainability is a nonprofit 501(c)6 organization made up of more than 5,000 professional women and men building the green economy. Our members range from students and entry-level professionals to Founders, C-Suite executives, and investors.
About the Role
As the events co-chair, you help run the events committee and lead the events plan for WCS. You are a member of the WCS Board and will be influencing the strategic direction of the organization. You work closely with the other events co-chair, committee board members, events volunteers, events director, and coordinators to ensure that WCS hosts amazing events that draw a wide audience and are a benefit to our members. You are also responsible for leading the group of volunteers that are part of the events committee.
Who you are: Skills and Experience
- An organized and disciplined individual with experience in event planning
- Self-motivated and self-directed, with an ability to work unsupervised, problem-solve on the fly, and manage your own schedule with a fluctuating workload while meeting seasonal deadlines.
- Have clear and concise communication skills to collaborate with others
- Part of the annual Strategic Planning process
- Promote awareness of and participation in DEI goals in your committee
Responsibilities & Duties
- Work closely with the other co-chair of events to divide up responsibilities
- Work closely with the marketing, career development, and entrepreneurship committees to structure a balanced schedule of events for the organization.
- Work closely with the events director who is in charge of the deadlines and task management of all events.
- Determine the most effective committee structure and help recruit volunteers to organize panels and socials.
- Facilitate meetings with volunteers, other board members, and coordinators
- Coach volunteer committee members
- Delegate administrative tasks to the events coordinator as needed
- Attend quarterly board meetings and leadership meetings and report on the status of the committee.
- Work with the board to define and articulate WCS organization & board priorities, vision, and goals
- Promote awareness of and participation in DEI goals in committee
Who you are: Skills and Experience
The below skills are preferred but not required for consideration:
- Experience in event planning, project management, people management, or similar fields
- Enjoy meeting new people, facilitating Zoom calls and scheduling events
- Maintain confidentiality of board issues and volunteer data
- Passionate about empowering women in the cleantech and sustainability space
- Industry knowledge and a sense for what makes a great event
- Experience in managing and leading a group of volunteers
- Build strong network of women in the sustainability field (board members and volunteers)
- Gain experience being in a nonprofit board setting
- Deepen events and interpersonal skills, particularly in leadership, mentorship, and recruitment
- Gain experience in making and enacting executive-level strategy decisions
- Attend WCS events for free
- Stay informed of trends in the cleantech and sustainability industry
Time Commitment & Expectations
- Attend bi-weekly events committee meetings, quarterly leadership meetings and quarterly Board meetings (via video-conference) and annual in-person leadership retreat
- 5 hours per week dedicated to WCS
- 1 year commitment
- Successful candidates will be required to sign a non-disclosure agreement
- Fundraising goal of $2,500 for corporate membership/sponsorship
- Annual board dues
- Volunteered previously for WCS events (3-6 months)
HOW TO APPLY
If interested, send your resume and a 1-paragraph summary of why you are interested in this role to email@example.com (300 words max) indicating why you are interested in the role.The deadline for applications is September 15, 2022.
Please email with the heading “Events Co-Chair Application: [Name]” If you require any support applying online, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you to everyone who takes the time to apply. Only selected applicants will be notified.