Technical Sales Engineer
Technical Sales Engineer | First Solar | Remote
Our high growth and leadership position in the renewable energy business offers outstanding opportunities to individuals seeking an exciting work environment in one of the most important industries for the 21st century. First Solar is a leader in the development and manufacturing of thin film solar modules used in grid-connected solar power plants, as well as a provider of complete solar generation solutions for U.S. utilities. Our culture is one where teamwork, continuous improvement, achievement of results, and environmental responsibility are core values. We are seeking new associates who are motivated to contribute their talents to making cost-effective solar energy an important part of the world’s energy mix.
Primary Job Functions:
We’re changing the world. Let us start with yours.
First Solar’s Product Development Department seeks candidates who believe in our mission of providing cost-advantaged solar technology through innovation, customer engagement, industry leadership and operational excellence. First Solar’s Product Development Team is responsible for building sales and revenue generation by leveraging the company’s differentiated products and industry-leading execution capabilities. Their mission is to engage customers, service their needs and win their business and trust, all while working collaboratively across First Solar functions to create innovative offerings to support First Solar’s growth, profitability and liquidity goals.
The Product Development Team looks for motivated individuals to engage the market with products, systems and services that meet our customers’ renewable energy needs and continuously look for ways to improve processes to help us lead the world’s sustainable energy future.
This position can work remotely from any US Location.
Basic Job Functions:
The Technical Sales Engineer manages the engineering and technical aspects of the sales cycle for PV Module Sales and Power Marketing, within the Americas region. It is a customer facing position.
This role is assigned customer opportunities from early stage origination through indicative and final bidding, culminating with a handoff to the contract execution team lead. The Technical Sales Engineer works as an integral member of the sales team, working with a commercial lead to address and remove any technical roadblocks that would prohibit a customer from advancing with a module transaction. Responsible for managing the preparation of site layouts, plant performance estimates, technology comparisons and optimizations, or plant capital cost estimates to facilitate a direct module sale or a customer’s RFP bid response. Will collaborate with industry professional to improve photovoltaic modeling and valuation. Will supervise the review of customer technical documents, site optimization, BOS cost guidance, and plant performance estimates to ensure module customers and third-party development partners are optimally designing and valuing First Solar module technology. When necessary, will coordinate customer’s deeper technical and business questions to the proper resource within First Solar.
The Technical Sales Engineer embraces the First Solar tenet of customer intimacy and is the first person the customer will contact when technical concern arises.
- 4+ years power industry experience with knowledge of solar project design, equipment selection, energy modeling, and technical sales
- Prior experience in the solar industry required
- Project experience to include: project development, conceptual and detailed design, engineering and optimization, cost estimating, and procurement.
- Battery Storage, inverter, PV structure, construction, field-testing, scheduling, execution, commissioning, and data analysis experience a plus.
- Professional Engineer Registration is a plus.
- Must have a BS degree in an engineering discipline, (i.e. BSEE, BSME, BSCE, BSChE);
- Advanced degree in Business or Engineering preferred, but not required
- Must possess technical knowledge of related engineering systems, equipment, engineering calculations
and construction methods/materials
- Aptitude for and/or knowledge of product development, project engineering, procurement and construction processes/procedures
- Strong customer relationship skills and ability to effectively communicate technical parameters of a power plant to customers
- Proficient knowledge of engineering economics and optimization process
- Practical knowledge of project development and technology evaluation processes
- Excellent verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills required
- Strong computing skills including MS Office Suite, computer aided design, and engineering programs
- Organized with the ability to simultaneously manage customer relationships and close transactions
- Working with a commercial lead, effectively engage in the consultative selling process to and communicate First Solar’s technical value proposition to customers via phone calls, email, in-person meetings, and written proposals
- Develop and maintain strong, collaborative working relationships with clients and industry partners
- Review and provide feedback to customers on plant energy estimates, site layouts, and capital cost estimates
- Generate and manage internal creations of cost estimates, comparisons, layouts, energy predictions, and module application notes and certifications
- Review technical portions of written proposals including energy modeling tools, weather file selection, electrical and structural ecosystems and align with commercial offers.
- Represent First Solar at technical conferences for the PV industry, lead speaking engagements that advocate for First Solar’s module technology, lead creation of recorded technical videos and technical marketing collateral
- Stay informed of technical and economic trends within PV industry, providing free technical consulting to customers when it can facilitate and advance a module sale opportunity.
- Stay informed on the offerings of key industry providers for structure and other balance-of-plant equipment, route module customers to integrators that can enhance First Solar’s module value.
- Develop and maintain strong, collaborative working relationships with internal clients at both the senior management and staff level. Communicate technical risk on customer execution and fulfillment as needed.
- Other duties as assigned
- Job description subject to change at any time
- Technical Sales Manager, Product Management – US
- This position will not have direct reports
- Up to 25% per year
Office Physical Requirements:
All positions in our office require interaction with people and technology while either standing or sitting. In order to best service our customers, internal and external, all associates must be able to communicate face-to-face and on the phone with or without reasonable accommodation. First Solar is committed to compliance with its obligations under all applicable state and federal laws prohibiting employment discrimination. In keeping with this commitment, it attempts to reasonably accommodate applicants and employees in accordance with the requirements of the disability discrimination laws. It also invites individuals with disabilities to participate in a good faith, interactive process to identify reasonable accommodations that can be made without imposing an undue hardship.