Systems Engineer | Sila Nanotechnologies | Alameda, CA
WHO YOU ARE
As a Systems Engineer on the Data Systems team, you will work closely with the Software Engineering and IT teams to help solve a variety of challenges ranging from improving software delivery to implementing core infrastructure improvements. You will leverage your expertise to identify areas of improvement and to build solutions that set up the company to adjust for scale while also maintaining and enhancing security best practices.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
- Design, manage, and maintain tools to automate software engineering operations
- Design, build, implement, and support CI/CD framework
- Build highly scalable and available distributed systems on cloud based and on-premise virtualization platforms
- Own and drive initiatives spanning multiple teams to apply and maintain information security best practices
- Build monitoring, supervision, and resiliency mechanisms to observe, react to, and maintain platform health, performance, and security
- Develop and support processes to maintain uptime, SLAs, security, and availability of critical platform components
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILL REQUIREMENTS
- 8+ years of experience with administering, monitoring, and securing Linux-based distributed systems environment
- Experience with systems engineering and DevOps in AWS (EC2, S3, IAM, RDS, ELB, CloudFront, CloudFormation, etc.)
- Experience with systems engineering and DevOps with on-premise virtualization platforms
- Experience supporting Python applications and frameworks
- Experience supporting Information Security policies, controls, and initiatives
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING CONDITIONS
- Experience working in data centers and/or environmentally controlled server rooms
- Able to install and cable of rack-mounted IT systems
We design and produce engineered materials that dramatically increase the energy density of rechargeable Li-ion batteries. We enable smaller, lighter, longer lasting electronic devices and unlock mass adoption of affordable, long-range electric vehicles. Our products work today, are a drop-in solution for existing battery manufacturing processes, and can be manufactured economically at scale.
Sila was founded in 2011 and is based in Alameda, CA. Our founders are two early Tesla Motors battery engineers and a Professor of Materials Science at Georgia Tech. We’re backed by top tier venture capital firms, led by Bessemer Venture Partners, Matrix Partners, Sutter Hill Ventures, and In-Q-Tel.
Our company culture is built on personal growth, mutual trust, inclusiveness, and safety. We are building a world-class materials company, where our team is close, debates are data-driven, and our nerdiest office puppies are named Angstrom, Lumen, and Gadget.
Our Company Values
- MASTER YOUR CRAFT. Excellence matters, and it compounds over time. Revel in hard work, relish the details.
- LEARN MORE. Learn and grow today to be ready for tomorrow’s bold challenges. Our best work is ahead of us.
- FIND AND FACE FACTS. Reason from first principles with intellectual honesty. Question your own biases and assumptions and consider alternatives. Choose to seek truths over winning arguments.
- OWN IT. True leadership comes from demonstrated excellence. Lead by example, taking deep responsibility.
- WIN TOGETHER. As a diverse team, we amplify our individual talents. Be compassionate, understanding, and patient to bring out the best in each other.
- TRUST. Trust that Sila-zens act from good intentions, in pursuit of our common vision. Work confidently knowing that we have each other’s backs.
- BE SAFE. Each of us has the power and responsibility to promote the health and safety of fellow Sila-zens. Always work with safety in mind.
- HAVE FUN. Work and fun are better together. Enjoy the journey and be yourself at Sila.
- RISK. WISELY. Be curious and enterprising, even if it means failing some of the time. You can learn more by risking wisely than risking nothing.
We believe that building a diverse team at Sila helps us amplify our individual talents. We are an equal opportunity employer and committed to creating an inclusive environment where good ideas are free to come from anyone. We are proud to celebrate diversity and all qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to gender, race, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability, national origin, or any other status protected by law.