Solar R&D Electrical Engineer
Solar R&D Electrical Engineer | GAF Energy | San Jose, CA
GAF Energy is transforming the rooftop solar industry to generate “Energy from Every Roof”. As a Standard Industries company, GAF Energy works in partnership with North America’s largest roofing and waterproofing manufacturer, GAF, offering homeowners elegant, roof-integrated solar options. The company also provides commercial tax equity funding for large-scale rooftop solar projects. For more information about GAF Energy, visit www.gaf.energy.
What part will you play?
- GAF Energy Solar R&D team is seeking a Solar R&D Electrical Engineer, who will work on developing new circuit formation and electrical interconnection for use in the next generation of building integrated photovoltaic (BIPV) technologies.
- This exciting role will work within a cross-functional team to develop technology platforms and solar products that integrate seamlessly into roofs and deliver exceptional energy production at a competitive cost.
- The ideal candidate must have a passion for thinking out of the box, delivering innovative ideas and thrive in a start-up-like fast-paced environment.
- This person will be part of the team that is responsible for concept, testing, developing and delivery of high-volume, photovoltaic solar technology solutions that transform today’s roofs. The role will focus on creative problem solving and collaborative work necessary to build prototypes and take them from laboratory scale to pilot line.
What will you do?
- Development: Through hands-on laboratory work you will help to envision, design, and prototype new circuit formations and electrical integration of PV cells and electrical components into a BIPV product
- Testing: You will ensure all products meet performance and reliability standards through rigorous laboratory and field testing
- Innovation: You will work with suppliers and collaborators to improve electrical performance of PV system and module designs across variable conditions (partial shading, etc.) and for improved manufacturability
- Problem Solving: Quickly process large amounts of information, assess critical issues and resolve problems in a timely manner using critical thinking
- Leadership: Act as a professional resource and mentor with detailed knowledge and knowhow in product development (R&D, competitive assessment, cost, deployment in manufacturing)
- Cross-functional Collaboration: You will work collaboratively with all members of the GAF Energy team, including R&D, Product Management, Operations and Sales to plan, development and deliver new solar products
- Communication: You will regularly present concepts and results to GAF Energy stakeholders
What do we require from you?
- MSc or B.S. Degree in Physics, Electrical Engineering, or Materials Engineering or equivalent
- Minimum of 5 years of laboratory experience in photovoltaic, semiconductor, or equivalent R&D environment
- Ability to design, optimize, and fabricate circuits of varying complexity. Direct experience with solar cell interconnection (stringing, shingling, etc.) preferred.
- Hands-on soldering experience is required. The candidate must understand what fundamentally makes a good and bad solder joint and how to test/ evaluate them.
- An understanding of functionality and integration of electrical components relevant to photovoltaic modules (solar cells, bypass diodes, optimizers, etc.)
- An understanding of common electrical failures and safety risks of PV modules and systems of various sizes
- Excellent analytical skills with solid statistical foundation
- Simulation Program with Integrated Circuit Emphasis (SPICE) software and experimental and data analysis software skills (Comsol, Ansys, SolidWorks, Python, JMP) preferred
- Some manufacturing experience preferred
- Strong communications skills and the ability to balance and prioritize competing tasks
- Self-starter with proven record of innovation, problem solving and delivering technical solutions in a timely manner
- Experience with defining engineering specifications for processes, testing and quality controls (SPC) for high-volume production based on customer requirements
- Willing and able to spend significant time in laboratory and pilot scale environment
- Willing and able to travel within USA and Globally up to 15% of your work time, once it is safe to do so after the Covid-19 pandemic
We believe our employees are our greatest resource. We offer competitive salary, benefits, 401k, and vacation packages for all full time permanent positions. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and GAF, SGI, and Siplast are proud to be affirmative action employers. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know. If applying for positions in the U.S., must be eligible to work in the U.S. without need for employer sponsored visa (work permit).