Smart Meter Capital Project Manager
Smart Meter Capital Project Manager | SDG&E | San Diego, CA
At SDG&E, we are committed to the community we call home, delivering clean, safe and reliable energy to better the lives of the people we serve in San Diego and southern Orange counties. Our commitment means 40% of the energy that SDG&E delivers to customers comes from renewable sources, exceeding California’s Renewable Portfolio Standard. We are modernizing natural gas pipelines; accelerating the adoption of electric vehicles; supporting numerous non-profit partners; and, investing in innovative technologies to ensure safe and reliable operation of the region’s infrastructure for generations to come. Learn more about our commitment to delivering clean, safe and reliable energy HERE.
Our highly trained and responsive employees with their diverse skills, talents and ideas are the reason we can deliver on our commitment and are building America’s best energy company. They are also the reason why we have been recognized with the industry’s most coveted awards. Our employees undertake challenging work and receive highly competitive compensation and benefits. As one of the region’s largest employers, we’re always searching for talented and bright people to join our team. After all, it takes the best to build the best. Learn more about benefits HERE.
Diversity and inclusion are core values of SDG&E. Empowering our employees to be their whole selves at work is our competitive advantage. This is where new ideas come from and meaningful collaboration gets an authentic start. By bringing together people with different perspectives, diverse backgrounds and real commitment to their own individuality, we have built a stronger business. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion HERE.
Manages smart meter strategy and capital program for the company. Leads the team responsible for developing the company’s long-term metering technology strategy as well as managing the Smart Meter 2.0 Project and other capital projects. Directs implementation and deployment of smart metering within the company’s service territory to meet billing requirements, California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC) regulations, and advanced technology use-cases required by other internal business units. Manages support staff assuring project controls adhere to company best practices, systems support, compliance activities and controls standard operating procedure process to be leveraged in advance of asset deployment for the Smart Meter 2.0 Project.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manages a large team of Project Managers, technical and project-matrix IT staff responsible for capital improvement efforts associated with Smart Meter Operations.
- Maintains a capital plan in alignment with the company’s objectives.
- Develops concept documents and business cases annually to justify the capital plan.
- Directs the project management of the smart meter system capital portfolio and apportions budgets strategically.
- Oversees project management and ensures compliance with all associated IT system and application upgrades by certifying all requirements are effectively met.
- Provides regular progress/status reports on execution and key performance indicators (KPI’s) to internal and external stakeholders.
- Leads planning efforts associated with Smart Meter Operations, including the development and management of a long-term technology and deployment strategy.
- Partners closely with senior leadership to implement smart meter strategy, improving services and value to customers.
- Maintains awareness of industry transformation, emerging technologies and changing standards to ensure appropriate innovation is occurring internally.
- Directs project teams to develop and pilot emerging technology and propose new business opportunities leveraging smart meter infrastructure and data.
- Leads smart meter new business request opportunities for Smart Meter Operations.
- Manages technical support staff overseeing the smart meter system enhancements ensuring compatibility with the Customer Information System platform and Customer Service strategy.
- Acts as subject matter expert for smart meter strategy, regulatory proceedings and policy development.
- Collaborates with and obtains feedback from operations teams including, data operations, meter engineering, network operations and engineering leadership to ensure capital deployments do not add undue risk or interruption to 24/7 operations.
- Oversees procedure development, compliance and project controls.
- Directs regular review of smart meter systems to ensure information security requirements and latest customer privacy protections are adhered to.
- Manages audits and data requests. Manages team responsible for smart meter system applications, enhancements and testing, such as MDMS, CE, Certicom – monitors changes to enterprise systems that interface with aforementioned applications and addresses modifications through Agile process.
- Reviews standard operating procedures developed by systems support, project controls and compliance staff are documented in system of record with appropriate business requirements.
- Manages the hiring, training and professional development of employees. Coaches, counsels, and conducts performance appraisals. Defines internal goals and targets for the team.
- Performs other duties as assigned (no more than 5% of duties).
- Bachelor’s Degree Engineering, business administration, computer science, mathematics, finance, or related field or equivalent experience.
- 10 years’ experience executing in an innovation-oriented business environment where analytics, ingenuity and independent judgment are regularly performed. Experience managing portfolio of projects and overseeing diverse teams of smart meter or grid modernization IT and business professionals.
- Strong employee development and team building skills.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills; ability to prepare material in a clear and concise manner for audiences at various levels across the company.
- Possess highly developed analytical, technical, and interpersonal skills to drive strategy and oversee projects.
- Able to work in a very fast-paced, highly technical environment with frequently changing systems, processes, and responsibilities.
- Demonstrated knowledge of advanced metering technology, system architecture, and emerging use-cases for meter data.
- Working knowledge of back-office smart meter system applications and interfaces.
- Working knowledge of developing and managing long-term budgetary forecasts.
- Strong knowledge of project management principles and best business practices for project controls and standard operating procedures.
- Ability to travel to company sites within service territory.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, disability or protected veteran status.
To be considered for the position, please apply online at: