Senior Software Engineer
Senior Software Engineer | Better Place Forests | Remote
Our engineering team is small, yet ubiquitous. We are responsible for building a robust custom platform that enables customers to fully plan their final chapter. This includes an online purchasing experience, customer-facing end of life planning tools, a forest management system, as well as a variety of internal tools that power our sales and operations teams. It takes best practices from consumer and enterprise and applies them to an industry that’s traditionally been underserved by technology.
Beyond a strong technical background, this role requires someone who cares deeply about the end user experience. Each new feature you ship will deliver on our promise to provide customers the peace of mind that their story will be beautifully preserved.
Your background, skills and experience:
As a senior engineer you will come to the table with experience. Your opinions are more than quotes from blog posts, and are backed by real-world trial and error. You are excited to provide mentorship to other team members, and want to cultivate a culture of “a rising tide that lifts all ships”.
- Help significantly expand our national footprint over the next year. Make critical decisions that will set up the long-term infrastructure and tooling to manage this growth.
- Create industry-first, innovative end-of-life digital products so our customers are able to write a better ending to their story.
- Technology is a core competency for Better Place Forests – you will help us take it to the next level.
- Be responsible for end to end ownership of everything you build. This includes working directly with product managers, designers, and stakeholders.
- Think critically about which problems to solve and how to set ourselves up for long-term success.
- Have a direct impact on the end-user experience.
Technologies we use (and teach) – our stack:
- Ruby on Rails, React, Postgres, Heroku, AWS (S3, Cloudflare, Redshift), RSpec
- Comfort working across our technical stack.
- Strong working knowledge of relational databases.
- 2+ years of experience developing web applications in Ruby on Rails
- 5+ years of experience in full stack web development using object oriented languages / frameworks like Ruby on Rails, Django / Flask, Node.js, Python, Java, C++, etc.
- 1 + year/s of experience working with React
- Ability to make architecture decisions that are thoughtful. Your assumptions are always well tested.
- An understanding of your audience when writing code, knowing that it will be written once and read 20 times.
- Humility. PRs and code reviews are learning opportunities, rather than chances to show off
Medical (subsidized), dental, vision, and 401(k)
Memorial Tree credit
Fertility assistance program
Connectivity/mobile phone stipend
Our HQ to you – remote workstation
Paid Parental Leave
Employee Referral Program
Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
Fair Hiring Practices
At Better Place Forests, we value diversity and treat all employees and job applicants based on merit, qualifications, competence, and talent. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sex, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or any other legally protected status. We will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. Applicants in need of special assistance or accommodation during the interview process or in accessing our website may contact us by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will treat your request as confidential information. In your email, please include your name and preferred method of contact, and we will respond as soon as possible.