Senior Director Sales and Business Development
Senior Director Sales and Business Development | Doosan GridTech | Seattle
About the job
Doosan GridTech™ delivers innovative control and optimization software and services to electric utilities, helping them turn distributed energy resources such as energy storage and solar PV into valuable contributors to grid reliability and economics. We aim to be the global leader in delivering technology solutions for the emerging digital, distributed grid, a critical component of the world’s clean energy future.
Doosan GridTech has an outstanding career opportunity for a Sr Director, Sales and Business Development to lead our North America Sales and Marketing teams. Use your knowledge of distributed energy resources and the utility and IPP market landscape to deploy real-world solutions to customers who are incorporating distributed energy resources into the grid. This position reports to CEO and provides overall leadership and strategic direction to Sales, EPC/integration and SW Business Development, and Marketing departments to support company revenue growth in a high potential clean energy economy.
Seattle, WA is preferred location. Relocation support provided.
- Proposal management and contract development experience.
- Robust contact network with major industry influencers and proven track record in closing utility and IPP sales.
- Expertise at managing client relationships and client satisfaction.
- Ability to build strong relationships with key stakeholders and business drivers for utility and IPP organizations.
- Understanding of the core functions and business models of utility clients and IPP’s.
- Strong industry expertise; demonstrated understanding of Power Systems and ESS customer electrical applications, services and technology and software.
- Knowledge of PV and ESS control SW.
- Ability to understand and contribute to ESS pricing and sizing models.
- Ability to make effective customer technical presentations, public speaking proficiency.
- Creative problem solver, resourceful, with strong initiative to resolve issues.
- Strategic mindset with the ability to identify new opportunities.
- Demonstrated experience with business development, client development and channel management.
- Strong collaborative skills and ability to work with cross functional teams to execute strategy.
- Ability to lead a dynamic team; coach and develop individuals to drive high performance and support challenges in an ambiguous environment.
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability and willingness to travel up to 50%.
- Experience interacting with industry analysts and the media.
- Technical Understanding of energy storage systems.
- Experience developing go-to-market strategy for fast growing market across customer segments.
- Knowledge of utilities fiscal year, budgeting, and procurement cycles.
- Knowledge of ISO/RTO markets and how energy storage fits in.
- Experience with insight selling methodologies, including understanding and mitigating threats
- Strong P&L experience.
- Industry certifications, professional affiliations.
- MBA, CPA, CMA credentials.
- Passion for renewable energy and promoting DER technology
Lead and Manage Multiple Departments
- Provide leadership to Sales and Business Development (EPC and SW), Marketing departments.
- Set FAST (Frequently discussed, Ambitious, Specific, Transparent) goals and objectives, remove obstacles and provide coaching that develops all direct reports and results in a motivated, high-functioning team.
Lead Strategic Initiatives
- Establish strategies and objectives, coordinating with company goals and other departments
- Lead strategic planning activities and generation for sales team to support revenue growth.
- Develop new market initiatives, assess new markets, and analyze business opportunities.
- Identify the key levers that drive each of the organization’s businesses and generate ideas for how to move those levers for the benefit of the organization.
- Responsible for sales, sales margin, and revenue performance of the business unit by managing (or influencing) all aspects that generate product and services revenue – marketing, positioning, sales, and strategic partnerships.
- Responsible for managing costs of team headcount and overhead.
- Maintain a clear understanding of the company P&L..
- Use P&L understanding to inform overall investment budgets in sales and marketing as well as the allocation of those budgets across different tactics.
- Communicate risks and benefits of all projects to executive leadership, after evaluation with other vertical stakeholders (Go, No-Go).
- Lead Sales and Business Development team and partner with CEO to support lead generation.
- Work closely with Marketing Manager to define a marketing strategy that cost effectively builds brand awareness and generates leads for the sales team.
- Articulate Doosan GridTech value-proposition to customers at conferences/events, speaking engagements, in one-on-one meetings, and in other settings demonstrating expertise in the concepts, practices, and procedures associated with energy storage.
- Prospect for potential new clients and turn into increased business.
- Build a robust pipeline of opportunities with utilities and IPP developers.
- Meet potential clients by growing, maintaining, and leveraging your network.
- Identify potential clients, and the decision makers within the client organization.
- Research and build relationships with new clients.
- Set up meetings between client decision makers and company’s subject matter experts.
- Plan approaches and pitches. Work with team to develop proposals that speaks to the client’s needs, concerns, and objectives.
Provide Market Intelligence
- Engage with customers to understand how they articulate benefits of the company’s products and services; Synthesize with market and competitive information to generate company and product positioning and messaging; Lead and articulate messaging to the marketplace via press, analysts, and through broader marketing channels.
- Feed customer information and requirements back to Product Development team to shape product development and marketing efforts.
- Engage with the regional stakeholders in Australia and Korea to foster alignment and to ensure no gaps in the product-market fit with the regional teams.
- Identify potential partnership and acquisitions that can bring new opportunities for growth in Software business and drive the investment activity in emerging start-up companies.
- Assist company with public policy work.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent in Business, Economics, Engineering, or related field.
- Proven track record of experience in leadership and business development in high growth technology business.
- Experience working in the renewable energy industry.
- Demonstrated experience in managing the sales cycle, creating partnerships, and establishing advocacy with customers in Utility and IPP market.
We offer a collaborative work environment, competitive salary, health benefits and a 401(K) plan. In addition, we are an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including gender identity, sexual orientation, and pregnancy) national origin, age (40 or older), disability or genetic information. Last, and not least, we are talented and passionate about what we do.