Project Manager | San Diego Gas & Electric | San Diego, CA
SDG&E is an innovative San Diego-based energy company that provides clean, safe and reliable energy to better the lives of the people it serves in San Diego and southern Orange counties. The company is committed to creating a sustainable future by providing its electricity from renewable sources; modernizing natural gas pipelines; accelerating the adoption of electric vehicles; supporting numerous non-profit partners; and, investing in innovative technologies to ensure the reliable operation of the region’s infrastructure for generations to come. SDG&E is a subsidiary of Sempra Energy (NYSE: SRE).
Our highly trained and responsive employees with their diverse skills, talents and ideas are the reason we can deliver on our commitment and are building America’s best energy company. They are also the reason why we have been recognized with the industry’s most coveted awards. Our employees undertake challenging work, and receive highly competitive compensation and benefits. As one of the region’s largest employers, we’re always searching for talented and bright people to join our team. After all, it takes the best to build the best. Learn more about benefits HERE.
Diversity and inclusion are core values of SDG&E. Empowering our employees to be their whole selves at work is our competitive advantage. This is where new ideas come from and meaningful collaboration gets an authentic start. By bringing together people with different perspectives, diverse backgrounds and real commitment to their own individuality, we have built a stronger business. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion HERE.
This position manages and executes SDG&E’s Codes & Standards (C&S) Programs activities, initiatives and projects. Ensures all stated program goals and requirements are met or exceeded within approved budgets. Represents SDG&E in the continuous Title 24 building codes and Title 20 appliances standards rulemaking cycles and processes that result in the adoption of cost effective and robust building codes and appliance standards at the federal, state and local levels. Contributes to SDG&E’s local efforts in pursuing improved compliance with adopted standard and reach code opportunities with local government jurisdictions.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Serve as SDG&E’s lead in the SW C&S Team in Title 24 Part 6 Building Energy Efficiency Standards, and Part 11 Green Building Standards Code (CALGreen) measure development process and advocacy effort. Key activities include identify, select and prioritize potential measures through T24 and T20 stakeholder outreach process with the CEC and CPUC staff. Review and approve Codes and Standards Enhancement (CASE) reports through multiple iterations. Actively participate in CEC hosted stakeholder meetings. Review proposed new code language or revisions. Review and prioritize the need for software updates after new codes are approved by CEC. Review Code Change Savings Report (CCSR) to substantiate Statewide C&S Team’s activities, influence and attribution to C&S energy and demand savings achieved.
- Serve as SDG&E’s lead in the SW C&S Team in Title 20 Appliance Standards measures development process and advocacy effort. Timely and effectively respond to state and federal appliance standard rulemaking processes and issues, with whitepapers, CASE reports, CEC staff reports, and comment letters.
- Promote improved compliance with adopted building codes and appliance standards. Work collaboratively with the Compliance Improvement stakeholders teams to develop and review compliance trainings, tools, and web resources. Organize, conduct or provide trainings.
- Provide technical, advisory and facilitation support to local jurisdictions in developing and adopting reach codes. Work collaboratively with Reach Code stakeholders teams to develop and review Reach Code cost-effectiveness studies and communications.
- Communicate, educate, and train Customer Programs and other departments on current codes and upcoming code changes. Serve as a SME on code related questions and analysis. Help identify or clarify applicability and impact of code measures. Participate and represent SDG&E in professional associations such as AEE (Association of Energy Engineers), International Code Council (ICC), American Society of Plumbing Engineers (ASPE), and Association of Space Heating Refrigeration Association of Engineers (ASHRAE). Manage program deliverables and data requests from regulatory and consumer advocacy entities. Ensure full compliance with regulatory and accounting requirements. Interface with senior management and educate leadership on key C&S trends & developments, risks & issues, as well as customer & business opportunities.
- Performs other duties as assigned (no more than 5% of duties).
- Bachelor’s Degree in engineering, business or equivalent qualification/experience.
- 6+ years working experiences related to innovative EE/Demand Response technologies and programs, building codes and appliance standards measures development, adoption, and compliance.
- Strong project management skills and customer focus. Proficient in the use of project management tools.
- Proven strong ability and track record in creating and executing technology projects.
- Excellent organization, technical and interpersonal skills; can address a broad range of policy, technology and business issues with state and local government representatives, SDG&E leadership, customer program and technical staff.
- Excellent communication, written and verbal presentation skills
- Deep understanding of building and appliances energy efficiency codes and standards, engineering principles, building energy modelling, policies, legislations, regulations, practices, and technologies.
- Strong background and experiences in codes and standard rulemaking processes including development of case studies, workpapers, and comments letters.
- Strategic thinker and self-starter. Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Passionate and inquisitive about new technologies, solutions, and standards.
- Excellent negotiating and persuasion skills and ability to resolve issues and conflicts to reach agreement and gain support among key stakeholders.
- Good common sense and judgement. Willingness and ability to take appropriate risks; assumes accountability for actions, decisions, and results.
- Strong ability to work well in matrix and team organization.
- Results oriented. Demonstrate a sense of urgency. Delivers top quality work on schedule within budget.
- Ability to assess and take appropriate risks, assumes accountability for actions, decisions and results.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Products. Working knowledge in building efficiency modeling tools (e.g., EnergyPro) is highly desirable
- Project Management certificate is a plus.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, disability or protected veteran status.