Program Associate (two positions) | Hewlett Foundation | Menlo Park, CA
The William and Flora Hewlett Foundation, based in Menlo Park, California, seeks two Program Associates to support the Environment Program.
About the Foundation
The William and Flora Hewlett Foundation is a nonpartisan, private charitable foundation that advances ideas and supports institutions to promote a better world. For more than 50 years, it has supported efforts to advance education for all, preserve the environment, support vibrant performing arts, strengthen Bay Area communities, make the philanthropy sector more effective, and foster gender equity and responsive governance around the world. In addition, we also make grants for special projects and to address other timely problems. Our newest program focuses on strengthening U.S. democracy, and in 2020, the foundation announced a new grantmaking commitment focused on racial justice. The Hewlett Foundation’s assets are more than $13 billion with annual grant awards totaling nearly $600 million. More information about the Hewlett Foundation is available at: www.hewlett.org.
About the Environment Program
The Environment Program focuses on climate change and clean energy, as well as Western conservation. We are committed to clearly identifying our goals and measuring progress toward them. Our team is made up of 10 program staff, plus additional staff from the communications, grants management, and legal departments. Additional information about the program is available here.
About the Position
The Program Associates (PAs) will support the climate initiative of the Environment Program. Reporting to a Program Officer, this individual manages the administrative aspects of the grantmaking process and communicates with grantees regarding proposals, budgets, and grant reports. The Program Associates may also research issues, programs, and organizations to assess their potential fit with Hewlett Foundation funding strategies. These individuals will also support strategy development and implementation.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The Program Associate’s duties will include, but not be limited to:
Grants Administration and Contracts:
- Manages a high volume of grants through the full grant lifecycle, from the proposal application process, to grant reporting and closing of grants.
- Implements processes to plan, coordinate, and track communications, timelines, and documents related to grants.
- Acts as liaison to other departments at the Foundation, such as the Grantmaking, Learning, and Operations (GLO) team and General Counsel for grant processing tasks.
- Organizes, composes, and manages program mailings and communications with current and potential grantees.
- Manages, tracks, and forecasts Program Officers’ annual grants budget using spreadsheets and other tracking tools.
- Prepares consulting agreements and serves as point of contact for consultants, including processing of invoices.
- Supports the Program Officer in planning and hosting funder and grantee meetings and maintaining funder relationships.
- Works with the Program Officer to effectively prioritize workload, triaging deliverables to meet deadlines.
Programmatic and Strategic Support:
- Supports Program Officer on a wide range of program activities and special projects.
- Provides some administrative and scheduling support for complex meetings.
- Compiles documents, manages project deliverables and deadlines, and participates in ongoing meetings for strategy development process.
- Regularly participates in meetings with Program Officer to provide strategic support and thought partnership, including record keeping and follow-up with both internal and external participants.
- Researches and prepares background information for meetings and presentations, and compiles reference materials, as needed.
- Travels to and participates in US and international climate events, conferences, convenings, and grantee visits.
- Participates in teamwide projects, such as efforts on diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice.
- Takes on additional responsibilities, as needed, during team transitions and onboarding.
- Coordinates closely with the other Program Associates to manage program-wide responsibilities.