Product Manager | Sila Nanotechnologies | Alameda, CA
WHO YOU ARE
As a Product Manager, you will work across all technical and business disciplines to help set the direction and drive the development of Sila’s next-generation battery materials. You’ll be working with the Research, Process, Battery Engineering, and Business Development groups, as well as engaging with customers, so mental flexibility and excellent collaborative problem solving abilities are valued.
You are someone with product management experience who knows what it takes to understand the customer point of view and use that perspective to inform a company’s product direction. You are an active listener, strong synthesizer of data and an excellent communicator. Finally, you are passionate about Sila’s technology and the impact it can have.
- Investigate and synthesize the needs of customers in target markets through customer and internal discussions, industry reports, announcements, etc.
- Understand the competitive landscape and where Sila fits in it
- Consolidate a list of all potential technical advances which are being worked on within Sila and create a structure to evaluate which technology should be commercialized and when.
- Create and maintain key elements of Sila’s product roadmap, which defines what Sila is aiming for and what products it is developing.
- Identify gaps between what Sila needs to do to be successful in target markets and what Sila is on track to achieve
- Define clear, detailed requirements for products Sila is considering developing
- Prepare other analysis necessary for cross functional decision making on product development, such as business cases.
- Own and drive new product development and introduction, including launch plan, marketing/sales documentation and internal product documentation
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILL REQUIREMENTS
- 2-5 years in a product management role, preferably hardware or materials product management
- Has created and owned product roadmaps and/or key elements of product roadmaps while successfully bringing at least one product from conception through launch
- Product management experience with a technical product which is used in a factory (i.e. parts/materials which enter a manufacturing process and end up in a final product, equipment, etc.)
- Success in building relationships and organizing collaboration in a technical interdisciplinary setting, including with members outside one’s organization
- Structured thinker with strong organizational skills and is comfortable understanding and synthesizing technical data
- Excellent communication skills, great story teller (to motivate folks), including verbal, written, and with visual aids.
- Demonstrated ability of quickly mastering new fields and excited to learn the skills needed to be a great product manager at Sila
- Degree in engineering or physical sciences and/or experience in battery industry would be nice
We design and produce engineered materials that dramatically increase the energy density of rechargeable Li-ion batteries. We enable smaller, lighter, longer lasting electronic devices and unlock mass adoption of affordable, long-range electric vehicles. Our products work today, are a drop-in solution for existing battery manufacturing processes, and can be manufactured economically at scale.
Sila was founded in 2011 and is based in Alameda, CA. Our founders are two early Tesla Motors battery engineers and a Professor of Materials Science at Georgia Tech. We’re backed by top tier venture capital firms, led by Bessemer Venture Partners, Matrix Partners, Sutter Hill Ventures, and In-Q-Tel.
Our company culture is built on personal growth, mutual trust, inclusiveness, and safety. We are building a world-class materials company, where our team is close, debates are data-driven, and our nerdiest office puppies are named Angstrom, Lumen, and Gadget.
Our Company Values
- MASTER YOUR CRAFT. Excellence matters, and it compounds over time. Revel in hard work, relish the details.
- LEARN MORE. Learn and grow today to be ready for tomorrow’s bold challenges. Our best work is ahead of us.
- FIND AND FACE FACTS. Reason from first principles with intellectual honesty. Question your own biases and assumptions and consider alternatives. Choose to seek truths over winning arguments.
- OWN IT. True leadership comes from demonstrated excellence. Lead by example, taking deep responsibility.
- WIN TOGETHER. As a diverse team, we amplify our individual talents. Be compassionate, understanding, and patient to bring out the best in each other.
- TRUST. Trust that Sila-zens act from good intentions, in pursuit of our common vision. Work confidently knowing that we have each other’s backs.
- BE SAFE. Each of us has the power and responsibility to promote the health and safety of fellow Sila-zens. Always work with safety in mind.
- HAVE FUN. Work and fun are better together. Enjoy the journey and be yourself at Sila.
- RISK. WISELY. Be curious and enterprising, even if it means failing some of the time. You can learn more by risking wisely than risking nothing.
We believe that building a diverse team at Sila helps us amplify our individual talents. We are an equal opportunity employer and committed to creating an inclusive environment where good ideas are free to come from anyone. We are proud to celebrate diversity and all qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to gender, race, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability, national origin, or any other status protected by law.