Power Systems Engineer
Power Systems Engineer | Blue Planet Energy Systems, LLC | Bay Area, CA
About Blue Planet Energy
Blue Planet Energy is a rapidly growing mission-driven company changing the way we power the world with safe, reliable battery systems. We build premium products that enable renewable energy adoption and energy security. Our products power the largest energy resilience project in the US and assure the dependability of critical infrastructure, businesses and homes from Hawaii to the Caribbean and from Canada to Central America. Blue Planet Energy strives to represent the communities we serve and to establish an inclusive model to drive our movement forward. We know our global mission cannot succeed without a diversity of talents, experiences, and perspectives bringing forward new solutions, approaches, and innovations. Among other diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives, Blue Planet Energy is proud to join over 1,000 other companies in signing the CEO Action Pledge that promises to act on creating a more inclusive workplace for employees, communities, and societies at large. We are delighted to open a new opportunity within the company for a Power Systems Engineer.
Are you finding yourself lost in a large company that wants you to fit into a box and yearning to make a difference in a startup environment?Do you love to geek out on the engineering of renewable energy projects? Do you feel like you’ve seen it all before, even in the challenging edge cases? Blue Planet Energy is looking for an engineer with a wide range of skills and experiences to contribute to our growing team.
The Power Systems Engineer is someone with extensive experience with commercial energy installations who can address the challenges customers face in designing, deploying and maintaining microgrids. This role requires a combination of excellent communication and customer service skills along with the technical knowhow to be an integral resource for customers and installers. This role supports the Sales team with the technical analysis and insights to turn project complexity into feasible solutions.
The position may, at times, require significant amounts of travel for commissioning, servicing, training, and key relationships.
- Develop, deploy and maintain hardware and software solutions to meet customer requirements for energy storage microgrids. Scope of solutions includes site controllers, power meters, protective relays, generator controllers, PV inverters, transformers, energy storage inverters, battery systems, wind turbines, weather stations, etc.
- Perform and automate commissioning, and power system design and consultation for customers.
- Work with customers directly to gather technical requirements and provide engineering solutions. Execute electrical distribution design, Protection, Control, and Automation (PCA), equipment assessments, power quality and grounding assessment
- Support Sales and Product Team by acting as the Voice of the Customer, creation of technical specifications, requirements, cost estimates, electrical drawing, one-line diagrams, equipment layouts and considerations for system designs and project proposals.
- Maintain expert level knowledge of Blue Planet Energy products and software platforms. Be a resource to the Customer Care team for advanced installation challenges.
- Engage and qualify vendors and third-party contractors of hardware and software solutions relevant for grid optional energy storage solutions. Advise the Sales and Product Teams on options to integrate with company products.
- Create technical and training documents, including system documentation, Single Line Diagrams, and conduct customer training sessions.
- Engage in field site visits to construction sites and existing facilities. Test and commission programmable logic controllers and multifunction relays in the field. Includes subcontractor management, construction supervision, SOP development, maintenance planning.
- Travel 30% within the U.S. and occasionally internationally to project sites. 70% Telecommuting.
- Perform remote and on-site technical support and troubleshooting for customers, investigate and create fault analysis reports to improve the product and processes.
We know skills and competencies show up in different ways and can be based on your unique life experience. If you do not necessarily meet all the requirements that are listed, we still encourage you to apply for the position.
- 5+ years hands-on experience in commercial energy project design, installation and commissioning. Experience with electrical, energy or power systems, including 3-phase 480V systems, protective relays, and generators.
- Excellent customer interaction, communication and organizational skills. Ability to manage priorities and attention across a variety of projects.
- Developing and updating electrical drawings and system one-line drawings in AutoCAD or similar programs.
- Programming and testing SEL/SEPAM/GE Multilin relays for different protection schemes.
- Knowledge and experience with industrial SCADA systems and communication protocols (Modbus, DNP3, CAN 2.0A/B, J1939 CANbus).
- Experience with electrical modeling software, such as HOMER microgrid simulation tool, PVSyst and Energy Tool Base, in developing models, analyzing scenarios and communicating results and recommendations.
- Knowledge and understanding of electrical design codes (UL 508A, NEC, NEMA, NFPA 70E, IEEE, ANSI, NESC standards).
- Degrees in engineering (Power, Electrical, Mechanical or Computer science)
- Experience with the design and commissioning of commercial 3-phase electrical and power devices including solar PV and/or energy storage products, related balance of systems, and software for electrical grid, power plants, or smart grids.
- Experience with integrated inverter-based synchronizing, paralleling, and load-sharing, photovoltaic systems and generators.
- Ability to work in both Spanish and English languages equally.
- Full time position
- Geographically flexible. Must be close to international airport. Preferably in areas of company operations (Bay Area, CA; Chicago, IL).
- Health, dental, vision benefits and paid time off included
- Salary depending on experience.
Prepare an original cover letter explaining exactly why this position appeals to you and your relevant experience. Submit your cover letter, resume, and one example of your work (eg Whitepaper or technical article, technical training or presentation).