Payroll Administrator | Borrego Solar | San Deigo, CA
Borrego is seeking a Payroll Administrator located in our San Diego office. The primary responsibilities of this position are to assist in full cycle payroll processing on a bi-weekly basis utilizing UKG, perform day to day tasks to support all aspects of payroll, and review and approve expense reports.
At Borrego, we don’t accept the status quo. We are driven by a culture of teamwork, fearless thinking, safety, and adaptability as we pursue our mission to accelerate the adoption of renewable energy. With more than 850 MW already installed, we’re excited about the “Gigawatt Revolution” and growth happening across our company as we shift from megawatts to gigawatts of large-scale solar and energy storage in the coming years.
After 40 years in business, Borrego is a trusted name in the solar industry and well-known for our strong employee culture. We combine the stability and wisdom gained by decades in business with an entrepreneurial spirit. Our employees are driven and animated by the Borrego System of Excellence, an operating framework detailing our mission, vision, strategy, and cultural principles and working systems.
About the Role
Position responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Prepare and process bi-weekly multi-state payroll, including off cycle payrolls as needed.
- Gather and review time cards for payroll processing, including ensuring overtime and prevailing wages are paid correctly.
- Assist in gathering and maintaining prevailing wage rates
- Assist in completing quarterly and yearly payroll filings and W-2s.
- Prepare and maintain all payroll-related reporting.
- Review and approve employee expense reports to ensure compliance with company policies, and pay in a timely manner per established payroll calendar.
- Process off-cycle checks and wage garnishment orders.
- Work closely with HR regarding employee changes such as salary changes and benefit elections.
- Support company-wide initiatives and growth as it relates to payroll
- Perform other duties as assigned
While no one individual will possess them all, the successful candidate will bring many of the following experiences, skills, and attributes:
- Associate’s degree or higher
- Minimum 2 years experience processing multi-state payroll
- Ability to sensitively handle confidential information
- Strong communication skills and able to effectively communicate across employee levels within the organization
- Attention to detail and problem solving skills
- The payroll specialist will have the ability of working on their own tasks along with working in a team environment.
- Experience with prevailing wage preferred
- Experience processing payroll in Ultimate Software (Ultipro) or UKG preferred
- Intermediate Excel skills, including pivot tables and vlookup
- Excitement about growing along with a fast-paced, dynamic company; comfort with ambiguity and a willingness to build, experiment, and iterate when the path forward is undefined
- A passion for renewable energy, addressing the climate crisis, and accelerating the clean energy transformation
Compensation, Benefits, and Culture
Borrego uses an internally equitable and externally competitive total cash approach to compensation. Our benefits package includes medical, dental, vision, health, life, and disability insurance; a comprehensive wellness program; 401(k) plan with company match and immediate vesting; continuing education and professional development assistance; and self-managed flexible work schedules and time-off policies.
Our corporate culture fosters collaboration, a growth mindset, and the ability to take risks — and we value innovative thinkers who will help us reach our ambitious growth goals. We believe that flexibility and work-life balance are important parts of long-term employee happiness and productivity. Our employees are trusted to get their work done and are given the freedom to do so when they are their most efficient, creative, and engaged.
Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
Borrego values the diverse perspectives, skills, experiences, and contributions of all employees. We want all our employees to feel like they belong and are empowered to be their most authentic selves at work. We’re actively committed to fostering diversity and creating an inclusive environment not only within our own organization but also within the renewable energy industry.
We seek a diverse candidate pool in this – and every – search. Borrego provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, genetics, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by state, federal and local laws. In addition to federal law requirements, Borrego complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. EEO M/F/D/V.
A Note to Third-Party Recruiters
Borrego’s People + Culture team coordinates all recruiting and hiring at our company. Borrego does not accept unsolicited resumes from third-party recruiters, staffing firms, or related agencies. Resumes are only accepted from third-party recruiters, staffing firms, or related agencies if a signed agreement is in place AND if external recruiting assistance is authorized by the People + Culture team for a specific position. All unsolicited resumes will be considered the property of Borrego. Borrego is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.