Operations Engineer | Axiom Cloud | Oakland, CA
Axiom Cloud is at a critical moment: our customers include several major North American grocery chains, and we are on track to deploy our solution at our 100th customer site in the coming months.
It’s now a key challenge to operate our products with quality that customers demand as we scale up our fleet of products. Axiom Cloud is establishing a new Operations organization in the company, which is dedicated to deploying, commissioning, and operating Axiom Cloud products with customer satisfaction as the number one success factor. We are therefore seeking an Operations Engineer who can not only effectively execute these actions, but even more importantly, build the foundation of a successful Operations and customer success team at Axiom. This is a fully remote position.
What You’ll Do
As the Axiom Cloud scales up, we remain deeply focused on developing high-quality product features that deliver value for our customers. You will report directly to the VP of Operations and work together on the following strategic initiatives:
- Manage day-to-day technical operations that directly drive value for customers.
- Generate and maintain best practices for Axiom’s operations; design and implement new features to improve operations; expand operations to enterprise-scale capability and robustness.
- Diagnose, troubleshoot, and solve software/hardware challenges at the intersection of refrigeration, thermodynamics, energy and facilities management, and enterprise software.
- Deploy hardware and software to customer sites.
- Overhaul operations workflows by developing processes and/or software scripts.
- Create data analytics and intuitive data visualizations to monitor site health, performance, and operational KPIs.
- Leverage the skills of our unique and exceptional cross-functional staff to create innovative solutions to physical engineering challenges.
- Be the subject matter expert at Axiom on all things operations engineering; provide technical leadership to a growing Operations team.
Who You Are
(a general guide – we can bend these rules for an incredible candidate!)
- B.S. in any engineering, computer science, or similar discipline (and/or equivalent)
- Customer focused. Always thinking about how to better serve the customer.
- 1+ years experience in a technical role.
- Refrigeration domain expertise OR direct HVAC/refrigeration field experience is a major plus, and/or a willingness to learn very quickly is required
- Interested in learning and operating a wide variety of software products, including dabbling in data analysis, and control using machine learning algorithms
- An enthusiastic self-starter who can work with minimal supervision and has tenacity to persevere through complex situations.
- Passionate about technology innovation, product development, industrial IoT, and energy storage.
- Aligned with Axiom Cloud’s guiding principles (you will be asked to provide examples of how you embody these principles during interviews).
- Knowledge of refrigeration and/or HVAC systems (preferred) or university-level thermodynamics.
- Able to clearly and effectively communicate with both internal stakeholders and customers.
- Service monitoring and incident management.
- Basic proficiency of an engineering or software programming language (MATLAB, Python, or similar)
- Interdisciplinary engineering prowess, able to relate various fields of engineering
Nice to have skills/technologies:
- Proficiency with Python
- Linux, bash, git, or otherwise working in a terminal environment
- Exposure to data processing, modeling, and analytics (Pandas, Numpy, SciPy, Matplotlib, Grafana 5+, Jupyter notebooks.
- Exposure to Databases: Timeseries (influxdb), noSQL (mongodb), object storage.
What You Get
- Compensation in competitive base salary and equity.
- “Honor system” PTO policy (no specified limits), flexible work schedule, flexible maternity/paternity leave.
- Numerous social activities including team happy hours, barbecues, holiday parties, and an annual Halloween costume competition. (Note: we are currently generating a path forward for in-person activities.)
The Fine Print
- We’re a startup. The work is demanding, but we’ll make every effort to find an arrangement that works.
- On-call rotations required on a regular basis.
- Infrequent travel required
Please answer the following questions. Please describe your thought process, assumptions, and how you came to the answer for which you arrived.
- Assuming a perfectly insulated household with no HVAC, if a household refrigerator door is left open, does the ambient temperature of the household change, and if so, why?
- Play this game for 15 minutes to help us better understand your strengths! https://play.scoutible.com/axiomcloud
Axiom Cloud is an Equal Opportunity Employer and fully subscribes to the principles of Equal Employment Opportunity, to ensure that all applicants and employees are considered for hire, promotion, and job status without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital or familial status.