Various positions | The City of San José | San José
Click the link to learn more and apply:
Our diverse and inclusive workforce of more than 7,000 employees play a key role in the success of San José, the heart of the Silicon Valley. All City of San José employees work together as one team to make San José a vibrant, innovative, and desirable place to live and work. Visit here to learn more about San José.
About the Department
The City of San José’s Community Energy Department (SJCE) seeks to fill one (1) full-time Marketing and Communications Manager (Public Information Manager) position in the Account Management, Marketing, and Public Affairs Division. This advanced customer experience and communications position reports directly to the Deputy Director and will manage an existing Marketing and Communications team.
The Marketing and Communications Manager will be an expert to ensure San José Clean Energy follows a customer-centric approach to deliver an excellent customer experience. Acting as the spokesperson for the Community Energy Department, the Marketing and Communications Manager will develop, execute, and oversee a broad spectrum of strategic external and internal initiatives and manage the reputation and branding of customer programs at San José Clean Energy.
The ideal candidate will have a strategic outlook to align customer experience with organization objectives, a data-driven mindset to measure and track improvements, expertise in communication and storytelling to explain complex ideas and courses of action, and a robust background in writing, community relations, marketing campaigns, and project management. Complex energy issues need to be communicated to the public. This position will utilize strong industry experience to develop specialized marketing and behavior change campaigns, focus groups, and other community relations efforts to effectively serve all customers and improve service to traditionally marginalized communities.
- Typical duties of this position may include, but are not limited to:
- Develop and execute internal and external communication plans for SJCE.
- Manage and develop communications strategies for SJCE senior leadership and ensures the alignment of communication plans and messaging with City goals and objectives.
- Build and manage strategic communication channels to reach diverse customer segments and stakeholders, including websites, digital newsletters, social media, blogs, email, and direct mail.
- Optimize marketing to drive customer participation in products, programs, and services to decarbonize and achieve ambitious renewable energy and climate action goals.
- Analyze customer journeys to streamline processes, increase customer satisfaction, and build consensus among community advocates toward a clean energy future.
- Write and edit internal and external communications, including press releases for media outlet distribution and op-eds.
- Direct SJCE contact with the media proactively and reactively to respond to requests for information from media outlets and other stakeholders and raise awareness of SJCE affordability and customer programs.
- Maintain and uphold the department’s public relations, including collateral, logo, and brand materials.
- Manage and coordinate outside consultants retained to provide services such as website services, graphics, writing, advertising, and other related work, and is also responsible for communications and outreach-related budget preparation and tracking.
- Oversee communication compliance with regulatory requirements, including customer notifications.
- Support the department’s legislative policy campaigns.
- Contribute to City Council memos and presentations.
- Supervise, coach, and mentor a team of communication professionals.
- Coordinate with the City’s Emergency Operations Center when needed.
- Other projects and assignments as assigned.
The Principal Power Resources Specialist position reports to the Deputy Director of the Power Resources Division.
This position is part of an exciting, fast-paced team responsible for procuring hundreds of megawatts of renewable energy
The selected candidate will have the following duties and responsibilities:
- Prepare, issue, and evaluate solicitations, including energy hedges (Inter-SC Trades), resource adequacy, renewable energy credits and long-term power purchase agreements.
- Conduct economic analysis of solicitation results for least-cost, best fit solutions.
- Negotiate purchases and sales of energy, capacity, transmission rights and renewable energy credits.
- Analyze the performance of SJCE’s portfolio of power contracts and CAISO (California Independent System Operator) market participation. Report results to senior management with recommendations to enhance market performance, reduces risks, and lower costs.
- Provide direction and guidance to SJCE’s Scheduling Agent, particularly focusing on stand-alone storage and co-located renewables, based on SJCE’s internal strategies and policies.
- Serve as a subject matter expert on CAISO Scheduling and Bidding practices, including knowledge of the CAISO Tariff and Business Practice Manuals.
- Develop procurement plans and strategies related to energy, capacity, and renewable energy credits.
- Develop and improve CRR (Congestion Revenue Rights) strategies to mitigate congestion risks.
- Coordinate project-based work with internal and external staff as required.
- Participate in joint procurement initiatives with other CCAs and CA Community Power.
- Develop and maintain relationships with key power suppliers.
- Oversee consultants and review modeling results for projects such as Integrated Resource Planning, Long-Term PPA analysis, and strategy development.
- Oversee the operational impacts of new generation resources (e.g., renewable, stand-alone storage) as they progress through various stages of development, construction, and operations.
- Assist with CPUC (California Public Utilities Commission) compliance filings such as RPS (Renewable Portfolio Standard) Procurement Plans and Resource Adequacy filings.
- Prepare and present technical and complex written and oral reports to a diverse audience.