Manager of Project Engineering – Solar Energy
Manager of Project Engineering | Sun Light & Power | Berkeley, CA
For over 44 years, Sun Light & Power (SLP), based in Berkeley, CA, has provided industry leading solar energy and storage solutions for commercial and residential customers throughout California. Sun Light & Power has gained a reputation for quality, safety and B-Corporation values, by transitioning to 100% collaborative employee-ownership.
Reporting to the COO, the Manager of Project Engineering will help manage the Commercial operations delivery system, by leading a team of engineers and engineering partners in the development of design deliverables for solar electric (PV), energy storage systems (ESS) and solar thermal (ST) projects. The core focus of our engineering team is to design systems that deliver customer-expected performance, exceed our warranty obligations and deliver the expected system life. The ideal candidate will cultivate a strong customer-focused culture, demonstrate excellent communication skills, share technical skills with his/her team and strive to secure and deliver reliable promises to both, internal and external team members and customers.
- 1)Manage the Engineering Team
- Hire, develop, supervise and assess engineering staff including project engineers, design engineers, drafters and administrators;
- Oversee continuous improvement of the engineering system to increase flow efficiency, while maintaining high resource efficiency; establish & report metrics for the engineering process;
- Support the engineering team members in using Kanban for managing engineering process including engineering tasks and deliverables.
- 2)Build a strong, cohesive team:
- Support our team members in doing his/her best work;
- Contribute to team culture by motivating individuals and building teams;
- Manage and develop team members.
- 3)Manage engineering partner relationships:
- Manage engagement practices between company and partners;
- Manage processes for ensuring best outcomes for partner-performed project designs.
- Perform project engineer duties on selected large or complex projects.
- 5)Establish and develop relationships with company’s major clients:
- Deliver exceptional customer experiences with the best mission-driven businesses, project developers, architects, engineers and general contractors in California;
- Support sales and business development efforts to win new projects and portfolio work.
We prefer leaders that combine solar industry experience with lean design experience including:
- 1)Good technical understanding of solar technologies [PV, ESS and ST (solar thermal)]: how to design & build them given engineering & regulatory constraints and requirements
- 2)An understanding of lean project delivery and flow efficiency, in a broad context (and lean design specifically, if possible) are preferred. Managing change and exploring new perspectives. Experience seeing the whole, reducing variation, learning new methods (like Kanban and Last Planner System® and exploring new operational strategies (e.g. lean project delivery).
- 3)Knowing how to manage change and experience with experimenting with new methods and strategies to improve flow, reduce cost and improve the customer experience is a big plus.
- At least 6 years’ experience in solar design of C&I and small solar projects 1-5MW;
- At least 3 years’ solar engineering management, preferred;
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Design or similar discipline (Electrical Engineering preferred);
- Ability to organize resources to successfully execute project design; Experience managing 3rd party design partners (full PV design, structural or electrical review);
- Demonstrated team building and staff management skills;
- Strong time management and organizational skills;
- Problem solving in collaboration with the project team, coaching team to develop solutions and to make quick good decisions;
- Understand requirements for the project permitting process;;
- Excellent English communications skills: requesting, clarifying, listening, committing, negotiating
- Strong attention to detail and high analytical aptitude;
- Experience with AutoCAD and skills in Office 365 (MS Word, MS Excel) required ;
- Ability to drive to job sites, climb ladders, and lift up to 25 lbs;
- Professional electrical engineering license, preferred;
- Experience reading and understanding contracts, preferred;
- Ability and willingness to mentor engineers and help them succeed;
$125K – $135K DOE, plus goal targeted bonus and benefits to include:
Allocation of 8% 1M shares SLP, based on a formula involving the number of employees, employee’s years of service and total compensation, which are vested over a 6-year period;
8 different medical plans to choose from, company paid employee only, through Blue Shield and Kaiser;
100% dental coverage, employee only, through the Delta Dental Gold PPO;
100% vision coverage, company-paid employee only through the VSP Gold
100% company paid employee only.
FSA, HSA and Commuter program
Paid Time Off:
13 days to be used for vacation and sick time; 8 paid public holidays plus 2 days for volunteering
$500 annual stipend
Sun Light & Power is an equal employment opportunity company without regard to sex, race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, religion, age, physical / mental disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, gender identity / expression, or any other basis protected by applicable federal / state law.