Manager of Energy | BART | Oakland, CA
Apply by: February 27.
This position is responsible for directing, managing, supervising and coordinating the activities and operations of the Energy Division within the Sustainability Group including energy resource procurement and management; prepares the energy budget; analyzes federal and State energy legislation and regulations; manages and negotiates contracts; coordinates assigned activities with other divisions, departments and outside agencies; provides close and responsive support to the Group Manager, Sustainability.The successful candidate will possess skills, knowledge, and experience to include the following:
- Ability to establish and maintain working relationship with District staff, various departments, internal and external agencies, the public, and other key stakeholders.
- Prepare, monitor and analyze energy budget.
- Analyze energy portfolio to cost-effectively achieve emerging sustainability objectives.
- Manage and negotiate contracts, including for energy transmission, distribution and generation.
- Analyze federal and state energy legislation and regulations.
- Provide high level strategic support to the Group Manager, Sustainability.
- Develop strategies and guidelines, weighs trade-offs, and prioritize key investments.
- Oversee implementation of renewable energy, and other energy projects.
- Identify, and have implemented, cost-effective energy efficiency projects, and assess project funding opportunities.
- Use best project management practices, including scope, schedule and budget, and organizing and directing staff and consultant resources.
- Plan, prepare and coordinate the preparation of reports including recommendations to the Board of Directors, committees and other management staff.
Essential Job Functions
- Manages and oversees the activities and operations of the Energy Division within the Sustainability Group.
- Leads and manages long-term energy procurement strategy to achieve stable and affordable costs, and a clean power supply portfolio to serve BART facilities and rolling stock, in accordance with BART’s Wholesale Electricity Portfolio Policy (WEPP).
- Manages energy contracts and ensures compliance with contractual agreements.
- Manages and participates in the development and implementation of goals, objectives, policies and priorities for assigned programs; recommends and administers policies and procedures.
- Monitors and evaluates the efficiency and effectiveness of service delivery methods and procedures; recommends, within departmental policy, appropriate service and staffing levels.
- Collaborates and coordinates energy projects and processes with other departments within the District.
- Oversees District, energy budget; seeks alternative sources of power. Researches and recommends energy conservation programs and seeks passage of legislation required for access to alternative sources of power.
- Serves as the primary point of contact with PG&E; manages and executes the transmission and distribution agreements between the District and PG&E.
- Monitors regulatory developments and legislation related to assigned area of responsibility; evaluates impact upon district operations; recommends and implements equipment, practice and procedural improvements.
- Selects, trains, motivates and evaluates assigned personnel; provides or coordinates staff training; works with employees to correct deficiencies; implements discipline and termination procedures.
- Oversees and participates in the development and administration of the division’s annual budget; participates in the forecast of funds needed for staffing, equipment, materials and supplies; monitors and approves expenditures; implements adjustments.
- Administers the District’s Management Procedures, including review, approval and administration as needed; suggests revisions and updates to procedures.
- Serves as the liaison to outside stakeholders and agencies on energy and climate matters with other divisions, departments and outside agencies; negotiates and resolves sensitive and controversial issues.
- Serves as staff on a variety of boards, commissions and committees; prepares and presents staff reports and other necessary correspondence.
- Conducts a variety of organizational studies, investigations and operational studies; recommends modifications to budget programs, policies and procedures as appropriate.