Legislative Affairs Specialist (Power Resources Specialist I/II | San José Clean Energy | San José, CA
The department is seeking to fill one (1) full-time Power Resources Specialist I/II (Legislative Affairs Specialist) position to support the Legislative Affairs Division. The ideal candidate is a skilled and highly motivated individual, with creative problem-solving skills and the ability to learn quickly. This position will be part of a fast-paced team, often working on high-priority projects and short deadlines. Good judgment, initiative, and cooperation with other staff and outside stakeholders will be an asset to this position. Under general direction of the Government Affairs Manager this position will be responsible for supporting the division’s engagement in state and federal legislative affairs to protect and advance San José policy, business and community interests. Typical duties of this position may include, but are not limited to:
– Monitor, review, interpret, and explain to a variety of audiences federal and state legislative and budget proposals and other policy issues with an eye toward impact on SJCE and its customers.
– Conduct comprehensive bill analysis, draft position letters and written testimony to be shared with a variety of stakeholders.
– Interface with the programs team on state legislative and budget proposals for energy programs including energy efficiency, demand response, distributed energy resources, building electrification and transportation electrification with an eye towards developing and implementing City programs to meet state and local decarbonization goals.
– Advocate with legislative offices and the administration to articulate and advance department interests
– Build and maintain stakeholder relationships including non-profit, business, and government entities, and where appropriate build regional and statewide coalitions to support the interests of the department.
– Under the direction of management:
• Work closely with technical experts, the regulatory and policy team, the city’s intergovernmental affairs team, and lobbyist to develop effective and persuasive communications before the legislature, and other agencies.
• Provide support for representation in legislative hearings on bills, and budget priorities
• Represent SJCE in work with other CCAs and at CalCCA legislative committees
– Perform other related duties as required.