IT System Administration – Journey | Information Technology Services Office (ITSO) | Thurston County – Lacey, WA
Salary: $80,064.00 – $107,676.00 Annually
Location: Thurston County – Lacey, WA
Job Type: Full Time – Permanent
Remote Employment: Flexible/Hybrid
Job Number: 2023-ITSO3700-06728
Department: Dept. of Ecology
Division: Information Technology Services
Opening Date: 05/19/2023
Closing Date: Continuous
Salary Information: The high end of the salary range, Step M is typically a longevity step
The Information Technology Services Office (ITSO) within the Department of Ecology is looking to fill an IT System Administration – Journey position. This position is located in our Headquarters Office in Lacey, WA. Upon hire, you must live within a commutable distance from the duty station.
As a journey level system administrator within the Infrastructure and Operations section of the Information Technology Services Office, you will contribute significantly to maintaining the resilience, availability, and reliable operation of a diverse technical environment that supports an array of IT and business systems and services. Furthermore, you will assist in supporting the infrastructure needs of the entire agency across multiple sites throughout the state, including a large application development environment encompassing development, testing, and production operations. Ideal candidates will have experience working within technical teams to achieve objectives and the ability to engage and collaborate with other technical staff and key agency stakeholders. This important role calls for a resourceful, innovative individual. The systems and services you will assist in supporting are crucial for the daily operations of over 2000 employees based in 10 locations statewide.
Agency Mission: Ecology’s mission is to protect, preserve and enhance Washington’s environment for the benefit of current and future generations.
Program Mission: The Information Technology Services Office (ITSO) is the central provider of strategic and tactical support for the use of Information Technology (IT) within Ecology. The mission of ITSO is to create and support useful technology services that adapt for the future and support Ecology’s mission.
Tele-work options for this position: This position will be eligible for up to a 90% tele-work schedule. Applicants with questions about position location options, tele work, and flexible or compressed schedules are encouraged to reach out to the contact person listed below in “other information.” Schedules are dependent upon position needs and are subject to change.
Application Timeline: This position will remain open until filled, we will review applications on June 02, 2023. In order to be considered, please submit an application on or before June 01, 2023. If your application isn’t received by this date, it may not be considered. The agency reserves the right to make a Hire any time after the initial screening date.
Ecology employees may be eligible for the following:
Medical/Dental/Vision for employee & dependent(s), Public Employees Retirement System (PERS), Vacation, Sick, and other Leave*, 11 Paid Holidays per year*, Public Service Loan Forgiveness, Tuition Waiver, Long Term Disability & Life Insurance, Deferred Compensation Programs, Dependent Care Assistance Program (DCAP), Flexible Spending Arrangement (FSA), Employee Assistance Program, Commute Trip Reduction Incentives (Download PDF reader), Combined Fund Drive, SmartHealth *Click here for more information
About the Department of Ecology
Protecting Washington State’s environment for current and future generations is what we do every day at Ecology. We are a culture that is invested in making a difference. Join a team that is highly effective and collaborative, with leadership that embraces the value of people. To learn more, check out our Strategic Plan.
Ecology cares deeply about employee wellness; we go beyond traditional benefits, proudly offering:
- A healthy life/work balance by offering flexible schedules and telework options for most positions.
- An Infants at Work Program that is based on the long-term health values of infant-parent bonding and breastfeeding newborns.
- Continuous growth and development opportunities.
- Opportunities to serve your community and make an impact through meaningful work.
Our commitment to DEIR
Diversity, equity, inclusion, and respect (DEIR) are core values central to Ecology’s work. We strive to be a workplace where we are esteemed for sharing our authentic identities, while advancing our individual professional goals and collaborating to protect, preserve, and enhance the environment for current and future generations.
Diversity: We celebrate and appreciate diversity; our unique perspectives and abilities enrich us all and lead to innovative approaches and solutions.
Equity: We champion equity, recognizing that each of us need different things to thrive.
Inclusion: We intentionally create and hold space so that we all have meaningful opportunities to participate and contribute to Ecology’s work.
Respect: We treat each other with respect and dignity, acknowledging the inherent worth of our diverse perspectives and lived experiences, even in times of uncertainty and disagreement.
We believe that DEIR is both a goal and an action. We are on a journey, honoring our shared humanity and taking steps to demonstrate our commitment to a vision where each of us is heard, seen, and valued.
What makes this role unique?
As a Web Server Administrator, you will contribute to the maintenance and upkeep of systems integral to the agency’s public website and all enterprise applications developed by Ecology staff. This role involves working in concert with administrative and development teams within the agency to address, analyze, and remedy usability and technical issues. As a key participant in the agency’s DevOps team, you will work with software developers to deploy and operate agency DevOps systems, contribute to the automation and streamlining of the agency’s operations and processes through these systems, and assist in the creation and maintenance of deployment tools using PowerShell. You will also help with monitoring tasks and aid in resolving technical issues in the agency’s development, test, and production environments.
What you will do:
- Assist in the Web Administration and DevOps Engineering tasks under the guidance of senior team members.
- As part of the web administration team, you will be involved in implementing application server architecture, and maintaining the agency’s enterprise application server infrastructure.
- Offer technical support for Ecology’s enterprise software applications and automated deployment services under the supervision of a senior team member.
- Contribute to project planning for the upgrade and expansion of web, application, and DevOps infrastructure projects.
- Assist in deploying agency-developed applications using DevOps processes and principles.
- Work on the resolution of technical issues related to the continuous integration (CI) / continuous development (CD) process using Azure DevOps, with senior oversight.
- Support in maintaining agency source control solution(s) using Azure DevOps and GitHub.
- Help create, author, and maintain build/deploy scripts using technologies such as Microsoft Visual Studio Code, Microsoft Visual Studio, Microsoft SQL Management Studio, and PowerShell.
- Contribute to the maintenance and optimization of agency Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC) implementation in alignment with Agile principles and values.
- Collaborate with all parts of the agency business stakeholders on technology needs and leverage enterprise web and application infrastructure to meet strategic objectives, as directed by senior staff.
- Learn from and collaborate with other System Administrators, Software Developers, and DevOps Engineers in System Administration and DevOps technology best practices and standards.
Years of required experience indicated below are full-time equivalent years. Full time equivalent experience means that any experience where working hours were less than 40 hours per week will be prorated in order to meet the equivalency of full time. We would calculate this by looking at the total hours worked per week, divide this by 40, and then multiply by the total number of months worked. Examples of the proration calculations are:
- 30 hours worked per week for 20 months: (30/40) x 20 months = 15 months full-time equivalent
- 20 hours worked per week for 12 months: (20/40) x 12 months = 6 months full-time equivalent
Experience for both required and desired qualifications can be gained through various combinations of formal professional employment, education, and volunteer experience. See below for how you may qualify.
Option 1: Five (5) years of experience, within the last seven (7) years, in one or more of the following IT disciplines: IT consultation, systems development, systems analysis, IT project management, server management, virtualization, server storage, system administration, or converged compute, networking and storage.
Option 2: An Associate’s degree with a major study in Computer Science, Information Technology (IT), Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics (STEM), or closely related field AND three (3) years of experience as listed above.
Option 3: A Bachelor’s degree with a major study in Computer Science, Information Technology (IT), Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics (STEM), or closely related field AND one (1) year of experience as listed above.
*Additional combinations of education or accredited vocational training, as listed above, can substitute for all but one (1) year of experience.
*Completion of MCSE, MCE, Server+, or related certifications will qualify for one (1) year of required experience above.
All experience and education combinations that meet the requirements for this position:
|Possible Combinations||College credit hours or degree – as listed above.||Years of required experience – as listed above.|
|Combination 1||No college credit hours or degree.||5 years of experience.|
|Combination 2||30-59 semester or 45-89 quarter credits OR Completion of MCSE, MCE, Server+, or related certifications.||4 years of experience.|
|Combination 3||60-89 semester or 90-134 quarter credits (AA degree) OR completion of a two (2) year accredited vocational training program in IT or related program.||3 years of experience.|
|Combination 4||90-119 semester or 135-179 quarter credits.||2 years of experience.|
|Combination 5||A Bachelor’s Degree or higher.||1 year of experience.|
We highly encourage you to apply even if you do not have some (or all) of the desired experience below.
- A Bachelor’s degree with focus on computer science, or project management, or database administration. At least two of the four years of experience should be within the last 4 years.
- Professional level experience consulting, designing, programming, maintenance and/or supporting work for moderate or large size organization. • MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure Certification, MCSE: Server Infrastructure, or VCP: VMware certified professional.
Note: Having some (or all) of this desired experience may make your application more competitive in a highly competitive applicant pool.
Ecology seeks diverse applicants: We view diversity, equity, inclusion, and respect through a broad lens including race, ethnicity, class, age, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, immigration status, military background, language, education, life experience, physical disability, neurodiversity, and intersectional identities. Qualified candidates from all backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
Need an Accommodation in the application and/or screening process or this job announcement in an alternative format?
- Please call: (360) 407-6186 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be happy to assist.
- If you are deaf or hard of hearing you can reach the Washington Relay Service by dialing 7-1-1 or 1-800-833-6388.
- If you need assistance applying for this job, please email email@example.com. Please do not send an email to this address to follow-up on the status of your application. You can view the latest status of your application on your profile’s main page.
- If you are reading this announcement in print format, please enter the following URL to your search engine to apply: https://ecology.wa.gov/About us/Get-to-know-us/Jobs-at-Ecology.
It’s in the applicant’s best interest to submit all of the documents listed below. Applications without these documents may be declined.
- A cover letter describing why you are interested in this position.
- A resume outlining your experience and education (if applicable) as it relates to the minimum qualifications of this position.
- A list of three professional references.
Please do NOT include your salary history. Wage/salary depends on qualifications or rules of promotion, if applicable.
For Your Privacy:
When attaching documents to your application (such as Resume, Cover Letter, Transcripts, DD-214, etc.):
- Please be sure to remove private information such as your social security number, date of birth, etc.
- Do not attach documents that are password-protected, as these documents may not be reviewed and may cause errors within your application when downloaded.
Per Governor Inslee’s Directive 22-13.1, state employees must be fully vaccinated effective November 4, 2022. Providing proof of being fully vaccinated is a condition of employment and your vaccine status will be verified prior to starting work. Being fully vaccinated means two weeks after you have received the second dose in a two dose series of a COVID-19 vaccine or a single-dose COVID-19 vaccine authorized for emergency use, licensed or otherwise authorized or approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration or listed for emergency use or otherwise approved by the World Health Organization. If you have questions, please contact Careers@ecy.wa.gov with “COVID-19 vaccination” in the subject line.
Additional Application Instructions for Current Ecology Employees:
Please make sure to answer the agency-wide questions regarding permanent status as a classified employee within the Washington General Service or Washington Management Service. Do not forget to select Department of Ecology as a response to question 2, and type your personnel ID number for question 3. If you are not sure of your status or do not know your personnel ID number, please contact Human Resources.
The act of submitting application materials electronically is considered affirmation that the information is complete and truthful. The state may verify this information and any untruthful or misleading answers are cause for rejection of your application or dismissal if employed.
If you have specific questions about the position, please email Russell Vanek at Russell.Vanek@ecy.wa.gov. Please do not contact Russell to inquire about the status of your application.
To request the full position description: email firstname.lastname@example.org
Why work for Ecology?
As an agency, our mission is to protect, preserve and enhance Washington’s environment for current and future generations. We invest in our employees to create and sustain a working environment that encourages creative leadership, effective resource management, teamwork, professionalism, and accountability.
Joining Ecology means becoming a part of a team committed to protecting and restoring Washington State’s environment. A career in public service allows you to help solve some of the most challenging problems facing our state, while keeping your health and financial security a priority. We combine one of the most competitive benefits packages in the nation with a strong commitment to life/work balance.
To learn more about The Department of Ecology, please visit our website at www.ecology.wa.gov and follow, like or visit us on LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram or our blog.
Collective Bargaining: This is a position covered by a bargaining unit for which the Washington Federation of State Employees (WFSE) is the exclusive representative.
Equal Opportunity Employer: The Washington State Department of Ecology is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to create a working environment that includes and respects cultural, racial, ethnic, sexual orientation and gender identity diversity. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age, veterans, military spouses or people with military status, and people of all sexual orientations and gender identities are encouraged to apply. Persons needing accommodation in the application/testing process or this job announcement in an alternative format may call (360) 407-6186. Applicants who are deaf or hard of hearing may call the Washington Relay Service by dialing 7-1-1 or 1-800-833-6388.
Note: This recruitment may be used to fill other positions of the same job classification across the agency. Once all the position(s) from the recruitment announcement are filled, the recruitment may only be used to fill additional open positions for the next sixty (60) days.