Future Energy Markets Internship
Future Energy Markets Internship | EDF Innovation Lab | Los Altos, CA
Company and department overview
EDF (Électricité de France) is a global, integrated energy company and the world’s largest electricity producer. With 140 GW of generation capacity across more than 30 countries, EDF generates over 650 TWh of electricity for 38 million customers, and 85% of that electricity has low or no carbon emissions. With 160,000 employees worldwide, EDF is active in the entire value chain of the electric industry, including R&D, project development, generation, trading, transmission, distribution, sales, and energy services. In the US, EDF’s operations include EDF Renewables, EDF Trading & Energy Services, Dalkia, EDF R&D, and several smaller business units.
EDF R&D has 2,000 researchers and 8 labs, including three in France, EDF Innovation Lab in the US, and others globally. Their role is to provide R&D, innovation, and business development support to the EDF Group. This is done through the creation of partnerships and collaborations with leading research institutions and industries and the identification and development of innovative technologies and solutions. EDF Innovation Lab also introduces start-ups and emerging technologies to EDF Group’s business units with the goal of partnering and develop joint ventures.
Summary of the position
The electricity industry is currently undergoing profound changes, and renewable energy resources are playing a central role in this evolution. Across the US, more than 170 cities, ten counties, and eight states have already adopted 100% clean electricity goals. Utilities across the country are also pledging 100% clean energy supply. However, these goals vary in their stringency, timeline, technologies to achieve these goals, and impact on new investments to make the 100% clean electricity transition possible.
We are looking for support from an intern in the area to study 100% clean electricity and carbon reduction goals across different states and regions in the US. Intern will also provide insights into new emerging storage technologies needed to achieve deep decarbonization and a review of technology providers and companies in this space.
Duties and responsibilities
Specific duties and responsibilities include, among others:
- Conducting in-depth research and review of 100% clean electricity, renewables, and carbon reduction goals across the states and regions in the US
- Quantitative analysis and defining of key performance indicators on benchmarking these goals and their impact on new clean energy investments
- Review of new emerging storage technologies needed to achieve deep decarbonization of the electricity sector, and technology providers/companies in this space
- Drafting of presentation, reports, and sharing findings with relevant internal stakeholders
- Support the broader EDF Innovation Lab activities through research, analytical, and written contributions.
Qualifications Education, skills, and experience
- Pursuing undergraduate or graduate studies, with a focus on sustainability, clean energy, public policy, environmental science, energy economics, and related topics
- Excellent research, organization, and communication skills (both written and verbal)
- Ability to work in a team and independently
- Detail-oriented, self-starter, flexible, and able to manage multiple tasks
How to apply:
Please send your Cover Letter AND Resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with ‘Intern, Future Energy Markets’ in the subject line.
EDF Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and all qualified candidates will receive consideration for all positions without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
- Demonstrated interest or experience in sustainability and driving impact at scale
- Excellent research skills
- Excellent organization and communication skills, both verbal and written
- General investment/financial sector knowledge
- A strong, intrinsic sense of pride in showing accountability and producing excellent work product