Executive Director | Build It Green | Oakland, CA
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
Based in Oakland, Build It Green (BIG) has been making healthy, sustainable homes more accessible for families across California for over 15 years. After successfully building a field around sustainable residential building through the introduction and expansion of its GreenPoint Rated home certification program and the creation of a now-independent utility consulting practice, BIG is now reconnecting with its roots as an industry catalyst to pursue an ambitious new vision. In this next phase for the organization, BIG aims to form an innovative, inclusive community of practice around regenerative building through education, convening, and standards-setting. Thanks to the recent launch of its Accessory Dwelling Unit and Regenerative Neighborhood Development pilot programs, BIG is poised to continue building a community-centered, equity-forward business model that makes sustainable homes accessible to all.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
The incoming Executive Director (ED) will have the unique opportunity to make a lasting impact on BIG and on the sustainable residential building industry by shaping and delivering a new business and organizational model that advances community vibrancy, resilience, and sustainability. This is a compelling opportunity for a mission-oriented entrepreneur with an appetite for building on a legacy of impact and change, to make healthy and sustainable living a reality for more families than ever before.
- Strategy: Co-design and map the organization’s strategic direction, including through the creation and management of a business plan, strategic plan, budget, etc.
- Leadership and Management: Manage day-to-day operations of BIG in collaboration with a dedicated staff and working Board, including programs, finances, IT, HR, etc.
- External Representation: Represent the organization among key stakeholders; convene and forge strategic partnerships within the sustainable building industry and community
- Business Model: Design and execute a high-impact, sustainable business model for BIG, including through the evaluation and revision of existing programs, and selection and experimentation with new pilot programs
- Organizational Development: Create administrative infrastructure for BIG; model and steward organizational culture; build, manage, and motivate the staff and Board
RELEVANT EXPERIENCE AND CHARACTERISTICS
- Experience collaborating with a Board of Directors to drive alignment on strategic priorities
- Mindful, collaborative, developmental approach to work
- Passion for supporting community development and increasing access to sustainable homes and lifestyles among low- and middle-income communities
- Experience managing staff and operations within a lean and growing organization, especially a startup or nonprofit
- Sophisticated understanding of the housing industry and experience productively engaging its diverse stakeholders
- Expert communication skills; ability to engage with a diverse range of colleagues, partners, constituents, and others
- Strong business acumen and entrepreneurial drive, grounded in a passion for social enterprise
- Experience designing and delivering innovative business models, including through the evaluation of existing and creation of new programs and revenue streams
- Well-developed systems thinking ability
HOW TO APPLY
All qualified applicants will receive consideration without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, ancestry, age, marital status, pregnancy, medical condition, disability, or sexual orientation. As an equal opportunity employer that values the organizational benefits of a diverse staff, BIG is committed to identifying and developing the skills and leadership of people with a variety of backgrounds and attributes.
BIG has retained Schaffer&Combs, a certified B Corporation, to support this search. In order to apply, please submit a current resume and thoughtful cover letter that explains your interest and outlines your relevant skills and experience.
Please refrain from contacting BIG directly. All inquiries should be directed to Schaffer&Combs at BIG@schaffercombs.com. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled.