Estimator I/II | Borrego Solar | Latham, NY
At Borrego, we don’t accept the status quo. We are driven by a culture of teamwork, fearless thinking, safety, and adaptability as we pursue our mission to accelerate the adoption of renewable energy. With more than 850 MW already installed, we’re excited about the “Gigawatt Revolution” and growth happening across our company as we shift from megawatts to gigawatts of large-scale solar and energy storage in the coming years.
After 40 years in business, Borrego is a trusted name in the solar industry and well-known for our strong employee culture. We combine the stability and wisdom gained by decades in business with an entrepreneurial spirit. Our employees are driven and animated by the Borrego System of Excellence, an operating framework detailing our mission, vision, strategy, and cultural principles and working systems.
About the Role
The Estimator will be responsible for all aspects of estimating the most complex and large-scale solar projects, including conceptual estimates, negotiated bids, budgets, general conditions, systems studies and comparisons, value engineering, subcontractor relations and staying abreast of industry developments applicable to estimating.
Primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Ensure that the estimating process runs smoothly and efficiently and client/stakeholder expectations are exceeded throughout the duration of the project(s);
- Build relationships to understand client, designer and subcontractor needs and expectations
- Analyze drawings, specifications, proposals, and other documentation to prepare time, cost, and labor and material estimate for projects
- Effectively facilitates cost collaboration amongst team members;
- Effectively communicate with all stakeholders
- Prepare quantity take-offs and apply unit pricing for material and labor to establish a value for the work
- Understand the full scope of the project through design, document review and asking questions of the design team and owner
- Prepare value engineering and risk analysis
- Prepare qualifications and assumptions for the estimate
- Prepare cost comparisons/reconcile with previous estimates
- Provide input for Scope of Work document to the Project Manager and Pre-construction Manager
- Provide constructability review during estimating process. Create list of project discrepancies during estimating review
- Work with Pre-Construction Manager to ensure quality control of bids and estimates
- Work with Application Engineers during feedback review meetings to help implement cost control measures
- Support Application Engineer team with continuous improvements to estimating tools through feedback loop process
- Support operation team with change order pricing to clients.
- Support operation with subcontractor change order pricing review and cost control
Desired Skills and Experience
While no one individual will possess them all, the successful candidate will bring many of the following experiences, skills, and attributes:
- Bachelor’s Degree, preferably in electrical or civil Engineering, Construction Management, Architecture or related field; or equivalent trade experience.
- 3+ years of experience as a Commercial Construction Estimator;
- Strong experience with estimating software like Accubid
- Proficient in Estimating, Project Management and Scheduling software;
- Understanding of the influence of market conditions on pricing;
- Strong interpersonal and negotiation skills;
- Highly developed sense of professional ethics;
- Ability to work both on a team as well as independently;
- Ability to communicate effectively with tact and diplomacy;
- Proven track record of purchasing success in the construction industry;
- Commitment to quality;
- Demonstrated ability to improve processes and create efficiencies;
- Excitement about growing along with a fast-paced, dynamic company; comfort with ambiguity and a willingness to build, experiment, and iterate when the path forward is undefined
- A passion for renewable energy, addressing the climate crisis, and accelerating the clean energy transformation
Compensation, Benefits, and Culture
Borrego uses an internally equitable and externally competitive total cash approach to compensation. Our benefits package includes medical, dental, vision, health, life, and disability insurance; a comprehensive wellness program; 401(k) plan with company match and immediate vesting; continuing education and professional development assistance; and self-managed flexible work schedules and time-off policies.
Our corporate culture fosters collaboration, a growth mindset, and the ability to take risks — and we value innovative thinkers who will help us reach our ambitious growth goals. We believe that flexibility and work-life balance are important parts of long-term employee happiness and productivity. Our employees are trusted to get their work done and are given the freedom to do so when they are their most efficient, creative, and engaged.
Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
Borrego values the diverse perspectives, skills, experiences, and contributions of all employees. We want all our employees to feel like they belong and are empowered to be their most authentic selves at work. We’re actively committed to fostering diversity and creating an inclusive environment not only within our own organization but also within the renewable energy industry.
We seek a diverse candidate pool in this – and every – search. Borrego provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, genetics, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by state, federal and local laws. In addition to federal law requirements, Borrego complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. EEO M/F/D/V.
A Note to Third-Party Recruiters
Borrego’s People + Culture team coordinates all recruiting and hiring at our company. Borrego does not accept unsolicited resumes from third-party recruiters, staffing firms, or related agencies. Resumes are only accepted from third-party recruiters, staffing firms, or related agencies if a signed agreement is in place AND if external recruiting assistance is authorized by the People + Culture team for a specific position. All unsolicited resumes will be considered the property of Borrego. Borrego is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.