Equipment Training Specialist | SDG&E | San Diego, CA
SDG&E is an innovative San Diego-based energy company that provides clean, safe and reliable energy to better the lives of the people it serves in San Diego and southern Orange counties. The company is committed to creating a sustainable future by providing its electricity from renewable sources; modernizing natural gas pipelines; accelerating the adoption of electric vehicles; supporting numerous non-profit partners; and, investing in innovative technologies to ensure the reliable operation of the region’s infrastructure for generations to come. SDG&E is a subsidiary of Sempra Energy (NYSE: SRE).
Our highly trained and responsive employees with their diverse skills, talents and ideas are the reason we can deliver on our commitment and are building America’s best energy company. They are also the reason why we have been recognized with the industry’s most coveted awards. Our employees undertake challenging work, and receive highly competitive compensation and benefits. As one of the region’s largest employers, we’re always searching for talented and bright people to join our team. After all, it takes the best to build the best. Learn more about benefits HERE.
Diversity and inclusion are core values of SDG&E. Empowering our employees to be their whole selves at work is our competitive advantage. This is where new ideas come from and meaningful collaboration gets an authentic start. By bringing together people with different perspectives, diverse backgrounds and real commitment to their own individuality, we have built a stronger business. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion HERE.
Plans, develops, and conducts skill training programs involving the application, operation, and utilization of construction and maintenance vehicles and equipment.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Plans, develops, and conducts skill training programs involving the application, operation, and utilization of construction and maintenance vehicles and equipment.Delivers safety and skills training for Commercial Driver’s license, and equipment operational training to Company employees.
- Researches and develops training for Federal and State regulations impacting Company operators of Commercial Vehicles.
- Compiles, recommends, and implements the use of source materials and equipment for training classes/presentations.Conducts, administers, and evaluates tests to qualify and certify company employees for specialized licenses.
- Keeps informed of the latest developments in vehicle, construction and maintenance equipment and associated systems; participate in the inspection and assessment of new vehicles and equipment.
- Determines the effectiveness of training programs in terms of evaluating operators’ performance against established criteria.Identifies skill-training needs, develops instructional programs and implements a coordinated training schedule to meet those needs.
- Compiles and maintains records of employee training activities, including performance and test files as well as special licenses and legally required certificates.
- Performs other duties as assigned (no more than 5% of duties).
- 5+ Experience involving the application and operation of vehicles, equipment, and associated systems, including but not limited to mobile hydraulic cranes and aerial lift equipment.
- Must have knowledge and experience in the following: customer operations; mechanical, hydraulic, systems; and construction equipment operations.
- Must have knowledge and experience in the following: fleet maintenance operations; mechanical, hydraulic, and electrical systems; preventive maintenance practices; automotive emission systems; and construction equipment maintenance.
- Must have demonstrated ability to absorb formal training and schooling.
- Effective reasoning, communications, writing and presentation skills a must.
- Ability to negotiate and influence to a desired outcome for compliance with federal and state regulations impacting operation of Company owned commercial vehicles is essential.
- Must possess the following skills: computer, analytical, problem solving, and organization.
- Must be knowledgeable of all applicable laws and regulations.
- Must also have strong interpersonal and communications skills for interfacing professionally with internal and external contacts.
- Class A driver’s license.
- Knowledge of hydraulic systems and components.
- Knowledge of state and federal OHSA regulations; Department of Transportation and Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration regulations.
- The U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) and the California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC) have adopted regulations governing the control of drug use by persons in certain job classifications.
- This job is covered by that regulation (49 CFR 199) and candidates will be tested for the presence of prohibited drugs and must meet DOT standards before appointment to the job.
- Once in the job, Federal Highway Code (391) requires random drug and alcohol testing for this position.
- A pre-assignment drug test may be required.
The U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) and the California Public Utilities Commission have adopted regulations governing the control of drug use by persons in certain job classifications. Certain job duties in this position are classified as being covered by the U.S. Department of Transportation Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) (Title 49 CFR Part 382) and candidates who are not already in a DOT covered job classification must pass a pre-employment drug test. Candidates who do not successfully pass the FMCSA pre-employment drug test will be required to enter a drug rehabilitation program as a condition of returning to their present jobs. Once in the job and driving/ licensure/ permitting requirements are met, successful bidders will be subject to FMCSA mandated testing.
To apply for the position, please visit our SDG&E Career Website:
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, disability or protected veteran status.