Engineering Technology Manager / AutoCAD Civil3D professional
Engineering Technology Manager | Borrego | Oakland, CA
Borrego is seeking an Engineering Technology Manager to join our growing team! This position is a “hands-on” type role that will work with our Development and EPC engineering teams to manage our AutoCAD and Civil3D environment, drawing set template, and associated tools and content. We offer a hybrid work environment, allowing you to work remotely 2-3 days a week and from the office 2-3 days a week. Locations: Lowell, MA, Latham, NY, Oakland, CA or San Diego, CA.
At Borrego, we don’t accept the status quo. We are driven by a culture of teamwork, fearless thinking, and adaptability as we pursue our mission to accelerate the adoption of renewable energy. With more than 850 MW already installed, we’re excited about the “Gigawatt Revolution” happening across our company as we shift from megawatts to gigawatts of clean energy in the coming years.
After 40 years in business, Borrego is a trusted name in the solar industry and well-known for our strong employee culture. We combine the stability and wisdom gained by decades in business with an entrepreneurial spirit. Our employees are driven and animated by the Borrego System of Excellence, an operating framework detailing our mission, vision, strategy, and cultural principles and working systems.
About the Role
The Engineering Technology Manager will work closely with Development Engineering and EPC Engineering CAD users in identifying areas of opportunity for improvement. Reductions in lead time, process time and automation will be a major focus for this position. We feel there is an opportunity for this position to set up our engineering teams for success by driving up efficiencies within our standard work which will allow for us to achieve our goal of moving from MW’s developed and installed to GW’s!
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Help our team of experienced CAD users take our AutoDesk tools, templates, and environment to the next level in pursuit of the company’s objectives!
- Working experience in code development, creating automation tools for other engineers to use.
- Coordinate standardization of our AutoCAD and Civil 3D templates and tools between the Development and EPC engineering teams
- Manage and improve our user request input system
- Manage and prioritize upcoming revisions and updates
- Excellent programming skills in languages like Python, Perl, SKILL, TCL, Shell, etc.
- Strong fundamentals in software development concepts and execution, specifically, system architecture, OS implementation, compilation/interpretation of code, command-line and GUI interaction, object-oriented structures, testing and coverage, revision control, and general algorithms. ML knowledge is useful.
- Exceptional analytical and communication skills. Able to work effectively with many cross-functional teams
- Perform maintenance and improvements to our AutoDesk systems, environments, templates, and associated tools and content (blocks, data shortcuts, LISPs, etc)
- Evaluate our AutoDesk infrastructure for opportunities to automate currently manual inputs and processes
- Ownership of our CAD systems and processes
- Coordinate with our internal IT department to ensure AutoCAD and supporting add-ons are installed and working properly for new hires
- Coordinate AutoCAD and Civil3D training of new hires and entry level employees and continued education of our engineering team members
- Establish and maintain a CAD manual and provide training to new and existing employees on our CAD systems and associated processes
- Manage update and rollout of software updates to the Development and EPC engineering teams
- Manage and maintain external consultant scopes, contracts and data
- Support of custom engineering enhancements
- Bachelor’s Degree in Information Technology, Engineering, or equivalent
- AutoDesk Certified Professional or Expert preferred
- 1 to 3 years of experience managing teams and systems
- Minimum 5 years of experience with AutoCAD and Civil3D
- Ability to support several engineers, providing a wide variety of administrative and computer skills to assist.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Experience coordinating with external vendors
- Strong leadership skills to help a team organize and accomplish their goals
- Strong communication skills for a variety of audiences
- Experience in renewable energy (PV, Energy Storage, Similar)
- Open to working in a constantly improving, fast paced environment with passionate teams
- Outgoing, ‘go-getter’ attitude
- Creative and ‘out-of-the-box’ thinker
Compensation, Benefits, and Culture
Borrego uses an internally equitable and externally competitive total cash approach to compensation. Our comprehensive benefits package includes dental, vision, health, life, and disability insurance; 401(k) plan with company match and immediate vesting; continuing education and professional development assistance; access to Borrego’s wellness platform; and self-managed flexible work schedules and time-off policies.
Our corporate culture fosters bold moves, a growth mindset, and the ability to take risks — and we value innovative thinkers who will help us reach our ambitious growth goals. We believe that flexibility and work-life balance are important parts of long-term employee happiness and productivity. Our employees are trusted to get their work done and are given the freedom to do so when they are their most efficient, creative, and engaged.
Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
Borrego values the diverse perspectives, skills, experiences, and contributions of all employees. We want all our employees to feel like they belong and are empowered to be their most authentic selves at work. We’re actively committed to fostering diversity not only within our own organization but also within the renewable energy industry.
We seek a diverse candidate pool in this – and every – search. Borrego provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, genetics, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by state, federal and local laws. In addition to federal law requirements, Borrego complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. EEO M/F/D/V.
A Note to Third-Party Recruiters
Borrego’s People + Culture team coordinates all recruiting and hiring at our company. Borrego does not accept unsolicited resumes from third-party recruiters, staffing firms, or related agencies. Resumes are only accepted from third-party recruiters, staffing firms, or related agencies if a signed agreement is in place AND if external recruiting assistance is authorized by the People + Culture team for a specific position. All unsolicited resumes will be considered the property of Borrego. Borrego is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.