Electrical Engineer | EDF Innovation Lab | Los Altos, CA
Company and department overview
EDF (Électricité de France) is a global, integrated energy company and the world’s largest electricity producer. With 140 GW of generation capacity across more than 30 countries, EDF generates over 650 TWh of electricity for 38 million customers, and 85% of that electricity has low or no carbon emissions. With 160,000 employees worldwide, EDF is active in the entire value chain of the electric industry, including R&D, project development, generation, trading, transmission, distribution, sales, and energy services. In the US, EDF’s operations include EDF Renewables, EDF Trading & Energy Services, Dalkia, EDF R&D, and several smaller business units.
EDF’s goal is to maintain its position as the global, efficient, responsible electricity company that champions low-carbon growth. The world of energy is changing, and energy is becoming more decentralized, low-carbon and data-driven. Customers are increasingly engaged in their consumption, energy efficiency, and self-generation. Meters are becoming smarter. The bulk of EDF’s new power comes from the wind, the sun and the sea, and we are seeking ways to utilize nature’s resources as best possible to generate electricity and conduct business in a sustainable and responsible manner.
EDF R&D has 2,000 researchers and 8 labs, including three in France, EDF Innovation Lab in the US, and others globally. Their role is to provide R&D, innovation, and business development support to the EDF Group. This is done through the creation of partnerships and collaborations with leading research institutions and industries and the identification and development of innovative technologies and solutions. EDF Innovation Lab also introduces start-ups and emerging technologies to EDF Group’s business units with the goal of partnering and develop joint ventures.
EDF Innovation Lab
EDF Innovation Lab’s mission is twofold: first, to explore, analyze and research trends and disruptive technologies for EDF Group in North America, leveraging the innovation of Silicon Valley and building on local partnerships; and second, to develop and test new markets, innovative businesses and services, to support EDF Group’s growth in decentralized, data-driven and low-carbon energy sectors. To this end, we work in partnership with academic, industrial, financial and start-up stakeholders across North and South America.
EDF Innovation Lab is building an expertise about the integration of DER (Distributed Energy Resources) in the power grids. The objectives is to leverage existing tools and algorithms to develop a skillset on DER Integration.
Summary of the position
We are looking for an Electrical Engineer to join the EDF Innovation Lab team and help us develop and maintain software related to the “DER Integration in the power grids” topic in a research and development environment. We need you to write electrical algorithms in Python based on existing and ongoing specifications. Developer responsibilities include writing and testing code, debugging programs and writing documentation. To be successful in this role, you should have experience in electrical engineering and programming.
Duties and responsibilities
- Develop, improve, industrialize and maintain DER Integration algorithms (voltage ride through, frequency ride through, performance control, VPP, etc.) in Python
- Understand electrical algorithms requirements and have the ability to code them in Python
- Document and build new electrical requirements
- Build and design test procedures and infrastructure
- Participate to the development of new products
- Participate to meetings with customers in order to understand their needs (no more than 10% of the time)
Education, skills, and experience
- Degree in electrical engineering
- 4/5+ years of electrical engineering and Python programming experience.
- Technical knowledge of voltage and frequency constraints caused by DER in the power grids.
- Technical knowledge of DER
- Technical knowledge of automation is a plus
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills in English
- Fast learner, self-motivated, willing to work outside the job description.
- Able to work under minimal supervision
How to apply:
Please send your Cover Letter and Resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with ‘Electric Engineer job offer’ in the subject line.
EDF Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and all qualified candidates will receive consideration for all positions without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.