Our client is looking for a Director of Policy & Advisory Services who will have full management and strategic responsibility for a team delivering environmental solutions and advice to businesses, as well as helping the client understand and influence upcoming policies and to identify opportunities for all of its business units. Our client is seeking an individual with demonstrated performance leading accounts, capturing new business, and managing high performing teams for profitable organic and inorganic growth. Working collaboratively with our other business unit leaders and talented employees across all our business units, the Director will effectively position their team as part of a comprehensive environmental market solutions set.
Duties and Responsibilities
The successful executive must know how to manage and mentor a team of individual consultants specializing in climate change issues. This business leader will also drive strategic planning, management, target identification, capture strategies, proposal management, contract award, and customer relations. This executive collaborates with counterparts to ensure that opportunities for cross-selling are maximized, understands that many projects will involve experts from across our business units, and is comfortable creating and managing ad hoc teams as needed. This position requires travel to company offices, client sites, and other meetings and conferences.
As the Director of Policy & Advisory, you will lead and grow a team of consultants and technical/market specialists advising clients on a range of topics that align to our areas of expertise and interests, including, but not limited to: ESG reporting and strategy, regulatory analysis, emission reduction project development, regulatory compliance, and optimizing regulatory strategies. This role is challenging and may appeal to people who have a pioneering spirit and entrepreneur’s mentality.
As part of the leadership team, you will play a critical management role in our firm:
- Manage a department of 4-8 consultants within demanding, time-critical and multiple service line environments. This includes recruiting and hiring new personnel as needed.
- Departmental growth and new business responsibilities. Work closely with senior management to set department direction and build new business. Represent client in external policy working groups, task forces, and conferences as needed to develop exposure and maintain engagement.
- Set and clarify requirements and expectations for all direct reports.
- Take proactive steps to ensure that best practices are shared across the department. You will establish and implement many of these practices.
- Set, measure, and evaluate departmental quality assurance standards, taking final responsibility for the quality of outgoing client deliverables.
- P&L ownership and responsibility for your business unit.
Qualification, Knowledge and Experience
- Experience with climate change policy- knowledge of climate change programs such as the California Cap and Trade Program, RGGI, Alberta, Canadian Federal program, EU ETS, etc. Experience with ESG reporting and strategy consulting.
- 15+ years of ESG consulting and business development and strategy experience with a track record of year-over-year growth.
- Demonstrated history of winning large consulting contracts.
- Solid relationships with corporate clients and a strong individual brand.
- Demonstrated ability to identify emerging business trends resulting in strategy recommendations to senior management.
- Ability to constructively influence and interact at the highest levels of the company and client organizations.
- Excellent communication skills and highly effective interpersonal skills are required, as well as an ability to inspire confidence and provide business development leadership throughout the company.
- Education: The ideal candidate will have a Bachelor’s Degree from a leading academic institution, preferably within the fields of Engineering, Science, or Environmental Policy.
- MBA or Master’s degree strongly preferred.
Job Type: Full-time
- 401(k) with company match
- Health Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Paid Time Off
- Participation in our Stock Appreciation Rights program
- Annual Bonus Program – tied to company and business unit performance.