Director of Operations
Director of Operations | RE-volv | Remote
The Director of Operations Role
The Director of Operations will work hand in hand with the Executive Director and will manage the finances, human resources, and business operations at RE-volv. The Director of Operations will be responsible for managing our accounting, solar project investment strategy, HR practices, as well as technological and operational systems as we scale. The ideal candidate will have demonstrated track record in nonprofit management, solar project finance, HR, managing IT systems, and successfully scaling organizations. They will also have a deep understanding of the clean energy and climate justice space, and the ability to learn quickly and creatively problem solve. They will have exemplary communication skills, possess a high attention to detail, and bring an optimistic, positive attitude to the team.
RE-volv is a nonprofit social enterprise fighting climate change and working to build a more sustainable and equitable world. We do this by empowering people to bring clean energy to their communities, providing the upfront costs of installing solar energy systems to local nonprofits, and educating local community members about the benefits of clean energy in the process. Through an innovative solar finance model, these nonprofits immediately save on their electricity costs, while their monthly solar payments contribute to a revolving fund, which helps pay for the next nonprofit’s solar system – a first-of-its-kind pay-it-forward model for renewable energy we call the Solar Seed Fund.
RE-volv has received numerous awards, including a Business Innovation Award from the U.S. Department of Energy’s Sunshot Initiative, is an inaugural member of the White House National Community Solar Partnership, and winner of the OpenIDEO Climate Innovation Fellowship.
RE-volv is at an exciting moment in the life of the organization. With nearly 3MW of solar financed for 42 nonprofits in 10 states that serve tens of thousands of people and Solar Ambassador fellows at 20 universities across the country, our track record is proven. The opportunity to scale is massive.
Your role as the Director of Operations will be to manage all RE-volv operations including matters of financial oversight, human resources, technology, and other internal functions. It will also include helping to foster our organizational culture of performance excellence while maintaining a friendly, fun, supportive atmosphere among a group of diverse, talented individuals as the organization scales quickly over the coming years.
This is a full time position that can be done remotely. We have an office in the Financial District of San Francisco, which is available for employees to use with proper health-safety precautions. Due to the ongoing pandemic, all RE-volv employees are now able to work remotely.
This is a high impact position, requiring creativity, independence, collaboration and initiative. Compensation includes an annual salary commensurate with experience, healthcare and retirement benefits, and generous paid time off. RE-volv also provides the last Friday of every month off for personal care, which we call RE-charge Days. RE-volv allows flexible work hours and is committed to supporting a good work-life balance.
By choosing to work at RE-volv, you know that your efforts everyday are not limited to just helping promote clean energy and fight climate change. You are also helping a myriad of nonprofits lower their electric bills, so they can be more successful in serving their communities around the country. Together we can create a more just and equitable society.
This position starts as soon as possible.
- Work closely with Executive Director to set strategic priorities for the organization
- Develop the internal financial controls and oversight structures that will allow the organization to deploy tens of millions of dollars of solar project finance, and manage a multi-million dollar operational budget
- Provide staff a strong day-to-day leadership presence regarding all matters of operations and be available to support staff as needed
- Lead the performance management process that measures and evaluates staff progress against goals for the organization
- Help set and track our organizational performance metrics, ensure data integrity, and manage our IT infrastructure to support the growth of the organization
- Work closely with the solar team to streamline our processes and measure each project’s financial viability in line with the overall health of our project portfolio
- Monitor incoming solar revenue and outgoing payments across a growing number of projects with proper financial oversight
- Track movement against all contractual obligations for each individual Program Related Investment or Recoverable Grant we’ve received ensuring rapid deployment of capital and timely repayment to investors
- Assist in evaluating and procuring insurance policies for solar projects and the organization
- Manage annual budgeting process to accommodate growing staff needs, annual operating costs increases, and strategic deployment of the Solar Seed Fund
- Manage annual audit, all legal filings, and year-end 501c3 reporting
- Provide ongoing financial reporting and analysis to the Board of Directors
- Oversee human resource needs such as ensuring timely reviews, competitive benefits and organizational development in accordance with RE-volv’s goals, budget and development
Skills and Qualifications:
- 6+ years of financial and business modeling experience, preferably in clean energy
- 6+ years of leadership and operational management experience, preferably in nonprofits
- Demonstrated experience scaling organizations in a leadership position
- Eagerness to work closely with staff to help develop their skills and achieve their career goals in line with organizational goals
- Budget planning, monitoring, and reporting skills
- Experience working with and reporting to investors
- Proven track record implementing and managing information infrastructure in Salesforce, Dropbox, and Google Drive
- Ability to analyze key metrics and data trends to guide organizational decisions
- Demonstrated commitment to promoting renewable energy, mitigating climate change, and building an equitable and sustainable society
How to Apply
Please submit your resume and a brief cover letter detailing relevant experience, salary requirements, and interest in the position via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Deadline to apply is February 19th. All applications will be reviewed at that time. Please write “Director of Operations Application – Last Name, First Name” in the subject line. No calls, please.