Director of Financial Planning & Analysis
Director of Financial Planning & Analysis | Borrego Solar | San Diego, CA
At Borrego, we don’t accept the status quo. We are driven by a culture of teamwork, fearless thinking, safety, and adaptability as we pursue our mission to accelerate the adoption of renewable energy. With more than 850 MW already installed, we’re excited about the “Gigawatt Revolution” and growth happening across our company as we shift from megawatts to gigawatts of large-scale solar and energy storage in the coming years.
After 40 years in business, Borrego is a trusted name in the solar industry and well-known for our strong employee culture. We combine the stability and wisdom gained by decades in business with an entrepreneurial spirit. Our employees are driven and animated by the Borrego System of Excellence, an operating framework detailing our mission, vision, strategy, and cultural principles and working systems.
About the Role
Borrego is seeking a Director of FP&A to join our growing team! This role will report to the Vice President of Finance and will be responsible for driving annual planning, monthly forecasting, strategic analysis and management reporting through their leadership of the FP&A group. The successful candidate will have a track record of leading teams to optimize business planning and cash forecasting and management, and to deliver timely and insightful information and analysis to enable data-driven decisions. Lastly, they will possess a passion for innovation, a propensity for gaining influence by earning colleagues’ trust and the discipline to see projects through to completion that will enable the FP&A group to provide high service levels as the company’s businesses grow in size and complexity.
Position responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Develop and continually improve detailed forecasting/budgeting processes and models to support the long and short-term needs of the business
- Liaise with the Controller to identify trends in GL accounts and research and prepare variance analysis against forecast and budget
- Drive the performance of the business through the development and monitoring of operational KPI’s for each business unit
- Partner with the VP Finance to develop and maintain a multi-year rolling forecast model encompassing current and future strategic initiatives
- Lead the FP&A team to ensure all financial analysis is timely, meaningful, and drives business improvements; oversee reporting to the company’s Executives, Board and shareholders
- Drive process enhancements and reporting mechanisms to foster a more data-driven culture
- Attract and manage a team of FP&A analysts providing ongoing mentorship, training, and development of direct reports
- Foster a growth mindset and culture of continuous improvement throughout the FP&A group and work closely with other team members to identify and implement changes to systems, processes and practices that will improve the quality and efficiency of the group’s work
- Perform other duties as assigned by the VP Finance
While no one individual will possess them all, the successful candidate will bring many of the following experiences, skills, and attributes:
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in business, finance or accounting; MBA/CFA preferred
- 10+ years of progressive finance experience, preferably with energy industry experience
- At least three years of experience in a supervisory (with hire and fire responsibilities) role
- Proven leadership experience in the context of driving change
- Refined business acumen and the ability to identify practical solutions to complex problems
- Track record of developing excellent working relationships based on trust and transparency
- Strong statistics and math skills with advanced modeling capabilities
- Flexibility and organizational skills to manage numerous and sometimes competing responsibilities of varying urgency and criticality within a fast-paced work environment
- Excellent verbal and written communication and presentation skills
- Strong attention to detail while being able to describe the bigger picture and lead meetings
- Computer savvy with excellent Excel skills; prior experience with Salesforce.com preferred
- Knowledge and experience of ERP systems, including system implementation
- Working knowledge of GAAP and other accounting practices and pronouncements relevant to the development, construction and maintenance of solar projects or similar assets
- An unwavering commitment to excellence, and the creativity, foresight and charisma to spur and implement continuous improvement and innovation
- Excitement about growing along with a fast-paced, dynamic company; comfort with ambiguity and a willingness to build, experiment, and iterate when the path forward is undefined
- A passion for renewable energy, addressing the climate crisis, and accelerating the clean energy transformation
Compensation, Benefits, and Culture
Borrego uses an internally equitable and externally competitive total cash approach to compensation. Our benefits package includes medical, dental, vision, health, life, and disability insurance; a comprehensive wellness program; 401(k) plan with company match and immediate vesting; continuing education and professional development assistance; and self-managed flexible work schedules and time-off policies.
Our corporate culture fosters collaboration, a growth mindset, and the ability to take risks — and we value innovative thinkers who will help us reach our ambitious growth goals. We believe that flexibility and work-life balance are important parts of long-term employee happiness and productivity. Our employees are trusted to get their work done and are given the freedom to do so when they are their most efficient, creative, and engaged.
Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
Borrego values the diverse perspectives, skills, experiences, and contributions of all employees. We want all our employees to feel like they belong and are empowered to be their most authentic selves at work. We’re actively committed to fostering diversity and creating an inclusive environment not only within our own organization but also within the renewable energy industry.
We seek a diverse candidate pool in this – and every – search. Borrego provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, genetics, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by state, federal and local laws. In addition to federal law requirements, Borrego complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. EEO M/F/D/V.
A Note to Third-Party Recruiters
Borrego’s People + Culture team coordinates all recruiting and hiring at our company. Borrego does not accept unsolicited resumes from third-party recruiters, staffing firms, or related agencies. Resumes are only accepted from third-party recruiters, staffing firms, or related agencies if a signed agreement is in place AND if external recruiting assistance is authorized by the People + Culture team for a specific position. All unsolicited resumes will be considered the property of Borrego. Borrego is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.