Director of Energy Storage, Procurement
Director of Energy Storage, Procurement | Borrego Solar | Remote
Borrego seeks a Director of Energy Storage, Procurement for its growing energy storage business, responsible for qualifying, developing and maintaining a portfolio of energy storage products for our team to deploy in design-build energy storage projects as well as developing and maintaining our energy storage vendor relationships and contributing to our energy storage strategy. The Director will report to President of the company. This is an exciting opportunity to work on a fast-growing energy storage business and be a part of change which our company is making by accelerating the adoption of renewable energy. We offer a hybrid work environment, allowing you to work remotely 2-3 days a week and from the office 2-3 days a week if you reside near a Borrego office. We are open to candidates who reside outside CA, NY, or MA.
At Borrego, we don’t accept the status quo. We are driven by a culture of teamwork, fearless thinking, safety, and adaptability as we pursue our mission to accelerate the adoption of renewable energy. With more than 850 MW already installed, we’re excited about the “Gigawatt Revolution” and growth happening across our company as we shift from megawatts to gigawatts of large-scale solar and energy storage in the coming years.
After 40 years in business, Borrego is a trusted name in the solar industry and well-known for our strong employee culture. We combine the stability and wisdom gained by decades in business with an entrepreneurial spirit. Our employees are driven and animated by the Borrego System of Excellence, an operating framework detailing our mission, vision, strategy, and cultural principles and working systems.
Four years ago, with the increasing and accelerating pace of integration of renewables in the US electricity system, we saw both a systematic need and a market opportunity in long-duration electricity storage. As a result, we launched an independent division that offers the same scope of services for energy storage that we offer for solar. We are now just over four years into our plan and we have exceeded every target which we set for this business. We have more than 100MWh energy storage projects under construction and more than 200MWh under contract for which we plan to start the construction later this year. We are growing fast, and we need you to help us continue to be successful.
About the Role
Principally, this position will manage a suite of energy storage solutions that our project development and project management team can deliver for commercial and utility-scale energy storage projects. As a technology-agnostic provider of turnkey energy storage systems, Borrego must constantly evaluate energy storage products in order to identify the right solution for our customer applications. We work with a variety of top-tier system integrators and equipment manufacturers who provide an integrated energy storage system, including DC batteries, power conversion systems, required HVAC, fire suppression system and controls hardware, as well as with energy storage software providers who provide optimization platforms that we can integrate into our turnkey system. As our development pipeline grows, our division’s success relies on our ability to define the products we use across different customer types and effectively manage our supply chain to source those products.
In this critical role, we’re seeking someone who is exceptionally detail-oriented with an ability to summarize information for strategic decision making. The ideal candidate will be capable of parsing through the technical specifics of energy storage product documentation and equipment warranty language to identify the opportunities and risks of integrating different products or working with certain vendors. This will be a highly collaborative role, as the Director of Procurement will work closely with our President to maintain supplier relationships and secure favorable terms for Borrego’s procurement of energy storage systems. This role will have extremely high leverage and visibility, as our ability to secure products for our growing pipeline and manage supply chain risk will allow our business to grow faster.
Position responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Develop technical standards for integrated energy storage products and maintain technical specification for key sub-components (battery, power conversion systems, enclosures, heating and cooling systems, fire suppression systems)
- Manage systems to evaluate and qualify energy storage products against Borrego’s technical standards and specifications
- Evaluate different battery technologies in terms of performance attributes that are most meaningful for customer applications
- Collaborate with project developers to specify technical energy storage solutions for various customer applications
- Collaborate with Borrego Solar’s O&M division to define the scope of services offered and identify product performance and operating risks
- Monitor trends in the energy storage product landscape to identify new opportunities to reduce installed costs or improve operational system performance
- Define, source and maintain technical documentation required to support engineering design and construction of energy storage products
- Develop and manage an energy storage product standard and product roadmap
- Develop and maintain standard product price books for our energy storage products
- Manage the negotiation of supply and purchase agreements with our vendors to secure guaranteed product availability, price and lead time
- Manage the procurement pipeline with vendors and coordinate the logistics of energy storage product orders to reduce lead time and delivery costs
- Monitor supplier performance to assess ability to meet quality and delivery requirements, meet with suppliers to provide performance feedback
While no one individual will possess them all, the successful candidate will bring many of the following experiences, skills, and attributes:
- Have a bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering or mechanical engineering
- Have 3-5 years’ experience in project or systems engineering, technical product management, program management or supply chain management
- Have in-depth understanding of various energy storage technologies and chemistries
- Have experience in energy storage for commercial and utility-scale applications or extensive experience in a related field such as power electronics
- Have demonstrated an ability to evaluate and qualify products from a technical engineering perspective
- Have experience negotiating equipment supply and purchase agreements, either from a supplier or purchaser perspective
- Have experience running competitive product solicitations with multiple parties to secure favorable terms as a purchaser
- Have demonstrated an ability to synthesize information for strategic decision-making
- Have working knowledge of electrical standards (UL/IEEE) and National Electrical Code, plus U.S. utility interconnection standards
- Have experience training teams on the technical requirements and standards
- Be comfortable working on a small team in a fast-paced environment
- Excitement about growing along with a fast-paced, dynamic company; comfort with ambiguity and a willingness to build, experiment, and iterate when the path forward is undefined
- A passion for renewable energy, addressing the climate crisis, and accelerating the clean energy transformation
Compensation, Benefits, and Culture
Borrego uses an internally equitable and externally competitive total cash approach to compensation. Our benefits package includes medical, dental, vision, health, life, and disability insurance; a comprehensive wellness program; 401(k) plan with company match and immediate vesting; continuing education and professional development assistance; and self-managed flexible work schedules and time-off policies.
Our corporate culture fosters collaboration, a growth mindset, and the ability to take risks — and we value innovative thinkers who will help us reach our ambitious growth goals. We believe that flexibility and work-life balance are important parts of long-term employee happiness and productivity. Our employees are trusted to get their work done and are given the freedom to do so when they are their most efficient, creative, and engaged.
Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
Borrego values the diverse perspectives, skills, experiences, and contributions of all employees. We want all our employees to feel like they belong and are empowered to be their most authentic selves at work. We’re actively committed to fostering diversity and creating an inclusive environment not only within our own organization but also within the renewable energy industry.
We seek a diverse candidate pool in this – and every – search. Borrego provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, genetics, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by state, federal and local laws. In addition to federal law requirements, Borrego complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. EEO M/F/D/V.
A Note to Third-Party Recruiters
Borrego’s People + Culture team coordinates all recruiting and hiring at our company. Borrego does not accept unsolicited resumes from third-party recruiters, staffing firms, or related agencies. Resumes are only accepted from third-party recruiters, staffing firms, or related agencies if a signed agreement is in place AND if external recruiting assistance is authorized by the People + Culture team for a specific position. All unsolicited resumes will be considered the property of Borrego. Borrego is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.