Development Director | Calstart | Pasadena, CA
We are looking for a highly experienced, motivated, and skilled leader to join our team as Development Director. The Development Director will lead all activities to research, identify, propose and secure funding from foundations, government, and other sources to support CALSTART’s exciting and expanding national and international clean transportation programs and policy campaigns.
Our new director will be a well-connected visionary with strong passion and skills for action and will use those skills to help us develop the support needed to unleash our full potential to reduce transportation’s impact on the environment and increase its benefits to all people.
Ideally, this position will be based in California within commuting proximity to either the Berkeley or Pasadena offices. For the safety and well-being of our employees, our organization is temporarily working remotely.
In this crucial new role, the Development Director will:
- Lead, plan, and guide all development activities, including strategy creation, funder engagement, grant development, outreach, and submission.
- Coordinate and support the mission-based funding needs of CALSTART’s four prime initiatives (Bus & Innovative Mobility, Clean Fuels & Infrastructure, Light-Duty Vehicles, and Truck & Off-Road/Global Drive to Zero).
- Develop and maintain a priority list of foundation, public and corporate funders with whom CALSTART has or should have a relationship.
- Develop strong and impactful relationships with the priority list of funders, both current and future.
- Create and implement a strategic outreach plan and schedule to reach existing and new potential foundation, government, and private funders.
- Perform regular check-in briefings with all key funders to keep abreast of their priorities and keep them updated on CALSTART’s activities and capabilities; share this information internally regularly with CALSTART leaders.
- Work directly with activity and initiative leads and regional directors to understand and prioritize resource and funding needs, which will feed into the strategic outreach plan.
- Work closely with activity, initiative leads, and regional directors to prepare for funding proposals, including presentations, drafts, and submission guidance.
- Establish and maintain a 12-18-month calendar of funding timelines and proposal deadlines.
- Establish, oversee and manage a proposal decision, production, and review process to increase and guarantee proposal quality and win rate, including a proposal development template and checklist.
- Develop, refine and maintain a set of organizational qualifications for core activities (transportation policy; technology program management and reporting; data collection and analysis; market assessment; incentive program design; fleet implementation support).
- Oversee, manage and direct our strong portfolio of public agency and commercial project funding pursuits.
- Refine and maintain a tracking and monitoring system of potential project revenues.
- Coordinate, oversee, and manage internal and external proposal development teams, including expanding a portfolio of qualified grant writers.
CALSTART is a nationally and internationally recognized clean transportation industry organization (nonprofit) headquartered in California with offices in multiple states. With more than 28 years of experience, we work with the public, private and philanthropic sectors to break down barriers to innovation and drive the transportation industry to a clean and prosperous future.
Our work is organized into four major initiative areas: light-duty vehicles, buses and innovative mobility, trucks (and off-road vehicles), and clean fuels and infrastructure. We advance each of these sectors by supporting technology development, assessing and validating new technologies and products, accelerating market growth by supporting clean vehicle incentive programs, providing policy guidance and implementation, and giving value-added services to our member organizations. We operate from offices in California, Colorado, Michigan, and New York.
CALSTART is a fast-growing organization, doubling in size over the last 2.5 years and with further growth planned now that the world is now ready for the urgent change upon which our mission is focused. With this hire, we seek to greatly expand its impact and capabilities to change transportation for good. In this role, you will have the opportunity to strengthen and further amplify our ability to support, expand and live our vision.
If you want a career where you are making a real impact and benefiting both society and the environment, you should consider coming to work with us!
- Bachelor’s degree in a related discipline, Master’s degree a plus.
- Extensive (10+ years) closely related experience in non-profit development and business development.
- Experience working in the clean transportation, energy, and/or climate sectors; deep knowledge of advanced transportation a plus.
- A proven track record of winning foundation funding; success with public agency funding a strong desire.
- Strong and trusted contacts and relationships with relevant foundation, industry, and public funding agencies.
- Strong and deep knowledge of strategic business development and the ability to tie organizational goals to pursuit strategies and plans.
- Strong program oversight and project management experience.
- Exceptional campaign and proposal development and submission experience with a proven high win ratio.
- Proven organizational management and team leadership.
- Exceptional presentation, stakeholder management, communication, and writing skills.
- Knowledge of project budgeting and organizational revenue forecasting.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite of applications (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook).
- Willingness to travel within North America (depending on the post pandemic environment).
Salary and Benefits
- Competitive annual salary based upon experience
- Performance-based growth opportunities
- Competitive company-paid health plan that includes dental and vision care
- Retirement plan with a generous company contribution
- Employee Incentive Program (bonus) yearly based on performance
- Telecommuting and flexible work hours as appropriate
- Rewards for alternative commuting to and from work
- Committed to employee growth and development
If you are up to this challenge, we invite you to apply! Qualified candidates, please apply online with your resume and cover letter at www.calstart.org/careers.
CALSTART, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and one that celebrates diversity in all forms. Our inclusive environment focuses on making decisions based on merit without regard to race, color, hair texture, gender, religion, age, nationality, social or ethnic origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, LGBTQIA+ status, marital status, pregnancy, disability, genetics, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law or not. This applies to any terms, conditions, and privileges of employment, including recruiting, hiring, transferring, training, pay, incentives, benefits, discipline, promotion, lay-offs, and termination. Underrepresented candidates are encouraged to apply.