Program Manager | Desert Community Energy | Palm Springs, CA
Desert Community Energy (DCE) is a public agency formed to offer Community Choice Energy for the communities it serves. Formed as a joint powers authority between the cities of Palm Springs and Palm Desert, DCE promotes cleaner, carbon free and more locally produced electricity, local renewable resources, energy conservation, investment
in the local community, local jobs, and competitive rates for residents, businesses, and municipal facilities in the participating jurisdictions.
DCE is locally controlled by a board of elected representatives and funded through program revenues. The agency is staffed by the Coachella Valley Association of Governments. The program manager will be tasked with overseeing a combination of consultants to perform the required functions of the agency, including providing Community Choice Energy (CCE) for customers in the City of Palm Springs.
DCE is seeking to hire a full-time Program Manager who will report to the Director and the Executive Director of Desert Community Energy. The Program Manager will work with the DCE team, consultants, and community stakeholders on operations, program development and implementation, community engagement and customer service. Responsibilities include coordinating internal operations and energy procurement activities; coordination of work with community and customers; leading climate action and sustainability programs; renewable/carbon free energy planning; and addressing compliance requirements. The Program Manager also provides associated administrative and staff support; interfaces with DCE Board members, other community choice agencies, state agencies, consultants, and community organizations. The ideal candidate would be comfortable taking initiative, be a creative problem solver and enjoy working in an innovative agency that is working to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and establish a sustainable future. This position offers the opportunity for full-time remote work/work from home.
Responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Design and implement programs that enhance economic and environmental health of DCE communities, meet customer needs and reduce GHG emissions, such as local energy efficiency programs, electric vehicle incentives, and community solar.
- Help oversee the day-to-day operations of a community choice energy company, including energy procurement, program development, and climate action/ sustainability programs.
- Prepare effective staff reports and presentations that update the DCE Board of Directors on various program topics.
- Provide customer service support in coordination with call center/data manager, including addressing customer billing concerns and identifying ways to improve service to DCE customers.
- Coordinate program planning with jurisdictions participating in DCE, stakeholder partners as well as community and business groups.
- Participate in local, regional and statewide meetings to track various issues that may impact DCE programs.
- Develop and maintain collaborative relationships with community stakeholders, neighborhood groups, and other partners.
- Use data analytics to track, plan, and analyze various DCE programs, customer relationship management, and program performance.
- Oversee regulatory compliance requirements.
- Monitor local, state, and federal regulations, policies, and legislation relevant to DCE and coordinate with other Community Choice Energy agencies statewide.
- Negotiate and administer contracts with DCE consultants and contractors.
- Research, identify, and develop funding opportunities to support DCE goals and programs.
- Provide outreach and support to individuals, citizen groups, business organizations, consultants and governmental agencies on all matters related to DCE operations.
- Coordinate with DCE outreach team to develop strategies and implement plans for community outreach to communicate DCE benefits, meet customer needs and engage the community.
- Provide staff support to the DCE Community Advisory Committee (CAC) and other community groups to coordinate on community engagement, development and implementation of community programs, initiatives to advance local clean energy.
- Work with DCE and CVAG team to develop regional sustainability initiatives.
- Represent DCE and speak at public meetings and various public events. • Additional duties as assigned by the Executive Director and DCE Director.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent from an accredited university, in fields of study which provide the necessary knowledge and abilities for the position such as energy, environment, engineering, natural sciences, public administration, public policy, business administration, economics, finance or another relevant field.
- Any combination of experience and training to include program management, overseeing contracts and consultants, team collaboration, analysis and planning. • Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience in energy management, Community Choice Aggregation, utility programs and sustainability programs is desirable.
- Current issues in renewable energy, battery storage, energy efficiency, climate change, sustainability, and other energy initiatives.
- Energy principles, California energy market functions, and electric generation procurement, development and service delivery functions is desirable. • Operations and organization of a local government agency
- Project and program management.
- Exercise sound judgement, professionalism, and creative problem-solving skills. • Manage program design and development, including needs assessments, contracts and program budgets.
- Track, engage in and respond to community and industry developments, anticipate and address challenges, and seize emerging opportunities.
- Synthesize and communicate complex topics to technical and non-technical audiences.
- Prepare professional reports as required by the DCE Board, and other interested parties.
- Conduct research, analyze data, and provide recommendations on issues and programs as needed.
- Maintain effective working relationships with members of the public, community organizations, staff and consultants, Board members, representatives of partner agencies, and other stakeholders.
- Manage staff and consultants to ensure that deliverables are received within contracted time, quality, quantity and cost requirements.
- Exercise discretion and independent judgment.
- Demonstrate sensitivity to and respect for the rights of individuals and differences in people’s ethnic and cultural heritage, attitudes, beliefs, goals, and interests.
The physical demands described here are representative of those required for the position. Position requires sitting, walking, standing, bending, and twisting in the performance of daily activities. The position requires hand manipulation and repetitive hand movement and fine coordination in using a computer keyboard. The position requires near and far vision in reading reports and use of a computer. Acute hearing is required in supporting meetings and providing phone and in-person customer service. The position occasionally requires lifting and/or moving objects up to 15 pounds. DCE will make reasonable accommodation of the known physical or mental limitations of a qualified application with a disability upon request.
Possession and continued maintenance of a valid class C California driver’s license or the ability to provide alternate transportation as approved by the Executive Director and a safe driving record.
Equal Opportunity Employment
DCE is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.
Location and Compensation:
DCE is based in the CVAG offices, which are located in the City of Palm Desert. This position offers the option for the employee to work remotely/work from home. Remote employee would be expected to be online and available from 8 am to 5 pm, participate in various weekly or monthly meetings, regular virtual meetings with DCE team (staff and consultants), and regular virtual check-ins with supervisor. CVAG is willing to discuss flexibility in the option for remote work.
The position will be a full-time salaried employee of CVAG.
The position and salary are negotiable depending upon an individual’s qualifications and experience. The starting salary for this position will range from $87,220 to $108,665. A competitive benefits package will also be offered.
The application can be found at www.cvag.org. The first review of the applications will be on November 12, 2021, but the recruitment will remain open until position is filled. The start date for the position is as soon as possible. To be considered for this position, please submit a cover letter, CVAG application, detailed resume, and three professional references. Please refer to the CVAG website for application instructions.