Communications Associate | PSE Healthy Energy | Oakland, CA. Remote locations will also be considered
PSE Healthy Energy is a non-profit energy science and policy research institute dedicated to supplying evidence- based scientific information and resources on the environmental, public health, social equity, and climate dimensions of energy production and use. Our work focuses on oil and gas, power plants, renewable energy, energy storage, and energy transitions. Much of our positive, dedicated, and high-functioning team is based out of our headquarters in Oakland, CA with staff also located across the United States.
PSE’s mission is to bring scientific transparency and clarity to energy policy discussions, helping to level the playing field between communities, the media, policymakers, and the private sector by generating, translating, and disseminating scientific information. No other interdisciplinary collaboration of physicians, scientists, and engineers exists to focus specifically on issues of health and sustainability at the intersection of energy science and policy.
PSE Healthy Energy is seeking a full-time Communications Associate at 30-40 hours per week. This position will report to PSE’s Director of Communications and will work collaboratively with PSE’s staff of scientists, engineers, and data analysts to tell clear and compelling stories about our research and impact to key audiences. This position requires creativity, careful attention to detail, flexibility, and initiative.
The ideal candidate will have 2-4 years experience in public relations or science communications. The communications associate will be responsible for helping to create a range of content including social media posts, graphics, presentations, website copy, quarterly newsletters, videos, and blogs. Strong writing skills and attention to detail are required for this position. Experience in data visualization and graphic design are a plus. The Communications Associate will also help the Communications Director track and report on progress towards quarterly and annual communications goals using tools like Google Analytics.
Familiarity with scientific research and energy policy, or experience creating accessible and engaging content from highly technical information is highly desired. It is not expected that a single candidate will have expertise across all these areas- we’re seeking candidates that are particularly strong in a few areas and have some interest and capabilities in others.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Social Media Support: Develop content for social media based on PSE products and reposting. Monitor PSE’s social media pages, manage ad campaigns, and help to grow and engage our audience through online events.
- Public Relations: Help to track the media and policy landscape surrounding PSE’s core research areas, including providing curated summaries of news coverage to staff.
- Email Management: Support the creation and distribution of PSE’s quarterly newsletter and other emails to our list.
- Creative Storytelling: Help to craft creative content, such as blogs and short videos, that clearly communicate the findings of our research.
- Design and Data Visualization: Work with PSE staff to ensure best practices for communications and coaching staff on communicating with members of the media.