Civil Engineer II / Project Engineer
Civil Engineer II / Project Engineer | Borrego | Lowell, MA
Borrego is seeking a Civil Engineer II to join our growing EPC Engineering team! The Civil Engineer II will work with engineers, account managers, pre-construction specialists, project managers, and external engineering consultants, to review, design, and at times, assist in permitting prospective commercial and utility solar PV projects, ranging in size from 1MW to 25MW+. In this role, you will be relied upon to assist the engineering, account management, pre-construction, cost estimation, and construction teams to analyze and advance permitted plan set packages provided by clients to final construction plans. Additionally, you will be relied upon to assist the construction team to address questions/issues as they arise in the field during construction. This role requires the ability to assist in the management of outsourced civil engineers where required, as well as the capability to develop CAD plans and details, reports, etc. for internally sourced construction plans and reports. the Civil Engineer II will report to the Senior Civil Engineer. We offer a hybrid work environment, allowing you to work remotely 2-3 days a week and from the office 2-3 days a week.
At Borrego, we don’t accept the status quo. We are driven by a culture of teamwork, fearless thinking, safety, and adaptability as we pursue our mission to accelerate the adoption of renewable energy. With more than 850 MW already installed, we’re excited about the “Gigawatt Revolution” and growth happening across our company as we shift from megawatts to gigawatts of large-scale solar and energy storage in the coming years.
After 40 years in business, Borrego is a trusted name in the solar industry and well-known for our strong employee culture. We combine the stability and wisdom gained by decades in business with an entrepreneurial spirit. Our employees are driven and animated by the Borrego System of Excellence, an operating framework detailing our mission, vision, strategy, and cultural principles and working systems.
About the Role
Position responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Pre-Contract due diligence/data room review, working with the account management team to request information from the client and de-risk the work for Borrego contractually.
- Act as the point of contact between Borrego and civil engineering sub-consultants to set schedule and deliverable expectations on a project by project basis and review plans/reports
- Create construction plans in AutoCAD Civil 3D in conjunction with Borrego’s multi-disciplinary team. Create exhibits for truck turning movements, earthwork analysis, and slope analysis to assist the engineering and account management team
- Review design drawings prepared by in-house or external civil engineers and provide markups to ensure plans and documentation are up to Borrego scope and standards
- Work with project teams with varying levels of civil experience to coordinate with survey, environmental and engineering sub-consultants as required for project construction
- Assist in the continued development of Borrego standard details, notes, and specifications for the New England region and other regions as necessary
While no one individual will possess them all, the successful candidate will bring many of the following experiences, skills, and attributes:
- Minimum of an EIT in Civil Engineering and willingness to become licensed in New England states as needed. A PE license in any state is considered a plus
- Minimum 3-5 years full-time experience as a civil engineer in the land use/site development civil engineering field. Solar experience is a plus
- Experience with designing and permitting projects at the local, State and Federal level
- Experience with non-ministerial site permitting and interpretation
- Experience working on civil construction projects in the New England area including conducting site visits, erosion control inspections, and writing field reports
- Experience working with Procore to manage RFIs and submittals from Civil Subcontractors
- Must have a strong understanding of all relevant codes including a demonstrated experience with the entitlement process
- Ability to work independently and effectively with consulting civil, electrical, and structural engineers, account managers, project manager clients, design, and technical personnel, as well as manufacturing partners. Experience in cost estimation for civil engineering scopes, including earthwork estimation
- Some experience reviewing engineering services contracts on an order of magnitude basis from outside civil engineering consultants and surveyors
- Ability to effectively communicate design concepts and lead meetings between project engineers, project managers, regulatory officials and consultants
- Ability to be creative, open-minded and to modify and expand theories to find solutions within the confines of the bylaws and codes
- Must be confident; must possess the ability to substantiate code interpretations and mathematically analyze design concepts
- Must have the ability to be flexible and adjust design as site conditions change in the field
- Must be able to work creatively with a multi-disciplinary team to solve issues in a cost effective and efficient manner, while alerting team members to any potential risks from a permitting/civil design perspective
- High energy, resourceful and organized engineering professional with the ability to manage multiple projects and explain civil engineering concepts to others without any civil engineering experience in a clear and concise way
- Solid written and oral communication skills are a must
- AutoCAD Civil 3D, HYDROCAD, Vehicle Tracking, MS Office proficiency is a must. Salesforce and Procore experience a plus
- Excitement about growing along with a fast-paced, dynamic company; comfort with ambiguity and a willingness to build, experiment, and iterate when the path forward is undefined
- A passion for renewable energy, addressing the climate crisis, and accelerating the clean energy transformation
Compensation, Benefits, and Culture
Borrego uses an internally equitable and externally competitive total cash approach to compensation. Our benefits package includes medical, dental, vision, health, life, and disability insurance; a comprehensive wellness program; 401(k) plan with company match and immediate vesting; continuing education and professional development assistance; and self-managed flexible work schedules and time-off policies.
Our corporate culture fosters collaboration, a growth mindset, and the ability to take risks — and we value innovative thinkers who will help us reach our ambitious growth goals. We believe that flexibility and work-life balance are important parts of long-term employee happiness and productivity. Our employees are trusted to get their work done and are given the freedom to do so when they are their most efficient, creative, and engaged.
Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
Borrego values the diverse perspectives, skills, experiences, and contributions of all employees. We want all our employees to feel like they belong and are empowered to be their most authentic selves at work. We’re actively committed to fostering diversity and creating an inclusive environment not only within our own organization but also within the renewable energy industry.
We seek a diverse candidate pool in this – and every – search. Borrego provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, genetics, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by state, federal and local laws. In addition to federal law requirements, Borrego complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. EEO M/F/D/V.
A Note to Third-Party Recruiters
Borrego’s People + Culture team coordinates all recruiting and hiring at our company. Borrego does not accept unsolicited resumes from third-party recruiters, staffing firms, or related agencies. Resumes are only accepted from third-party recruiters, staffing firms, or related agencies if a signed agreement is in place AND if external recruiting assistance is authorized by the People + Culture team for a specific position. All unsolicited resumes will be considered the property of Borrego. Borrego is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.