Business Development Analyst
Business Development Analyst | First Solar | Tempe, AZ, or Perrysburg, OH
Our high growth and leadership position in the renewable energy business offers outstanding opportunities to individuals seeking an exciting work environment in one of the most important industries for the 21st century. First Solar is a leader in the development and manufacturing of thin film solar modules used in grid-connected solar power plants, as well as a provider of complete solar generation solutions for U.S. utilities. Our culture is one where teamwork, continuous improvement, achievement of results, and environmental responsibility are core values. We are seeking new associates who are motivated to contribute their talents to making cost-effective solar energy an important part of the world’s energy mix.
Primary Job Functions:
We’re changing the world. Let us start with yours.
First Solar’s sales department seeks candidates who believe in our mission of providing cost-advantaged solar technology through innovation, customer engagement, industry leadership and operational excellence. First Solar’s sales team is responsible for building sales and revenue generation by leveraging the company’s differentiated products and industry-leading execution capabilities. Their mission is to engage customers, service their needs and win their business and trust, all while working collaboratively across First Solar functions to create innovative offerings to support First Solar’s growth, profitability and liquidity goals.
The sales team looks for motivated individuals to engage the market with products, systems and services that meet our customers’ renewable energy needs and continuously look for ways to improve processes to help us lead the world’s sustainable energy future.
Job Title: Business Development Analyst II
Reports To: Director, Technology Sales & Origination
Job Status: Exempt
Basic Job Functions:
The First Solar Technology Sales & Origination team manages sales and relationships with buyers of First Solar PV module technology across customer groups of Developers, IPPs, Utilities, and EPCs. As the leading supplier of utility-scale solar projects in the U.S. market, First Solar is growing this fast-paced team to engage across the national utility-scale solar development sector.
The Business Analyst II is responsible for critical operational and customer-facing actions, including pricing modeling, energy performance modeling, bid support, sales presentation preparation, competitive landscape analyses, and managing various sales systems and processes. This position will interface cross-functionally with First Solar’s Product Management, Demand Allocation, Technical Sales, Fulfillment, Contract Execution, and Logistics departments. The Business Development Analyst II must be able to navigate conversations with internal and external stakeholders, as well as executive leaders from First Solar and customer companies. Since this position supports First Solar’s primary market and ambitious booking targets, the Business Analyst II will not only directly engage in key sales processes, but also contribute to long-term, strategic planning.
The Business Development Analyst II must be strongly motivated, a quick learner, and a self-starter. This team values individuals with both impressive technical skillsets and a sociable disposition.
- Minimum 1 – 2 years’ experience within the solar industry, ideally in a technical, sales or product management role (Master’s Degree can count for 1 year of experience).
- Prior experience supporting B2B sales accounts technically and/or commercially a plus
- Bachelor degree highlighting exemplary scholarly performance in a technical or analytical field (Engineering, Finance, Business Administration, Economics, Etc.)
- Masters Degree in Business or Engineering preferred
- A passion for renewable energy, innovative PV technology, and American manufacturing
- Core values prioritize teamwork, integrity, attention to detail, and excellence in work product
- Strong interpersonal skills; excellent written and oral communication skills
- Self-motivated with critical thinking, planning, organization, and execution mindset
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and take initiative
- Proven ability to understand, process, and simplify analytical information to present to internal stakeholders
- Highly organized and efficient with time management. Able to track and execute across several workflows simultaneously.
- Ability to clearly and rapidly define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions
- High-level of proficiency in using MS Office Suite, particularly Excel and PowerPoint
- Knowledge of financial modeling and experience with energy prediction software preferred
- Understanding of PV technology landscape (power markets, players, and LCOE drivers) preferred
- Experience with Salesforce and other CRMs preferred
- Support deal leads in customer engagement and relationship building within the U.S. utility-scale solar market by preparing comparative technology analyses, financial models, and technical sales presentations
- Attend meetings and virtual or in-person conferences and build relationships with current and prospective customers
- Drive customer education on First Solar’s value proposition and provide timely response to customer inquiries, both technical and commercial
- Run competitive analyses on First Solar technology relative to other products in the market
- Maintain up-to-date technical sales collateral in preparation for and response to Requests for Proposal (RFPs)
- Track and analyze opportunity pipelines within Salesforce; vet and support further engagement of inbound leads
- Build and maintain tools in Excel for use in sales meetings and presentations
- Engage with Fulfillment and Logistics to ensure sales execution success
- Other duties as assigned
- Job description subject to change at any time
- This position will report directly to First Solar’s Director of Technology Sales & Origination.
- The analyst may also support other US-based origination leads.
US Physical Requirements:
Office Physical Requirements:
All positions in our office require interaction with people and technology while either standing or sitting. In order to best service our customers, internal and external, all associates must be able to communicate face-to-face and on the phone with or without reasonable accommodation. First Solar is committed to compliance with its obligations under all applicable state and federal laws prohibiting employment discrimination. In keeping with this commitment, it attempts to reasonably accommodate applicants and employees in accordance with the requirements of the disability discrimination laws. It also invites individuals with disabilities to participate in a good faith, interactive process to identify reasonable accommodations that can be made without imposing an undue hardship.
Potential candidates will meet the education and experience requirements provided on the above job description and excel in completing the listed responsibilities for this role. All candidates receiving an offer of employment must successfully complete a background check band any other tests that may be required.
Equal Opportunity Employer Statement: First Solar is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values and respects the importance of a diverse and inclusive workforce. It is the policy of the company to recruit, hire, train and promote persons in all job titles without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity. We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a driving force in the success of our compa