Business Developer, Energy Storage | ENGIE | United States – Houston, San Francisco, Chicago, NYC
Business Developer, Energy Storage.
Business Development Director, Energy Storage
United States – Houston, San Francisco, Chicago, NYC
Local Contract Only.
Salary – Exempt.
At ENGIE, we are developing and building today the low carbon energy systems of tomorrow. Our 2030 goals include building an additional 40 GW of renewables, 10 GW of battery storage and 4 GW of clean hydrogen capacity. North America has been identified as a key area for ENGIE to realize a substantial part of this ambition. The Energy Storage team is part of the Flexible Generation business unit, which develops, builds, and operates the dispatchable generation assets that enable the continued build-out of intermittent renewables.
The Business Developer, Energy Storage will be responsible for the origination, development, and financial success of utility scale In Front of the Meter Energy Storage Solutions in North America.
Essential Job Functions
- Greenfield development of standalone utility scale In-Front of the Meter Energy Storage that generate revenues from merchant markets, fixed contracts, hedges, or other financeable structures.
- Lead all development activities from feasibility to the start of construction, including as the case may be, finding off-take and negotiating off-take agreements.
- Manage all aspects of environmental site assessment, permitting, transmission/interconnection, land acquisition, and design activities in close collaboration with other subject matter experts (SME).
- Lead interconnection process through various Independent System Operators (ISO), i.e., PJM, MISO, SPP
- Support diligence activities for project financing or project acquisition.
- Engage with landowners, contractors, equipment suppliers, off-takers and stakeholders throughout the development process.
- Develop and maintain database and development dashboards tracking progress
- Advise on project revenue models underwriting assumptions in alignment with investment criteria and revenue/off-take efforts.
- Review project pro forma financial models to understand development risk and how returns are impacted.
- Collaborate with internal and external stakeholders to progress multiple projects simultaneously.
- Support diligence activities for project/portfolio acquisitions and financing.
- Serve as point of contact/SME for energy storage by communicating with Executives and coordinating across multiple ENGIE Global Business Units (GBU).
- Present portfolio and project updates to ENGIE Management, including capital requests for project development and final investment approvals.
- Represent company in industry advocacy groups.
- Remain abreast of energy storage opportunities, trends impacting development opportunities, and Engie’s competitiveness.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Skilled in project development, project management, including M&A work, with the ability to multi-task and prioritize critical path tasks.
- Strong analytic skills, with a proven ability to develop and execute on innovative solutions in the rapidly evolving energy landscape.
- Evaluate and communicate risk and profitability to Executives.
- Highly capable of working constructively and maintaining good relationships with public officials and agencies.
- Familiar with mechanics of land easements/leases.
- Proficiency with power system fundamentals including transmission and distribution systems and interconnection requirements.
- Ability to draft and negotiate commercial agreements with partners and vendors.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and high level of attention to detail with the ability to present complex technical, legal, and financial subjects into commercial practicality to a wide range of audiences, including landowners, potential off-takers, government officials, and corporate leaders.
- Results-oriented professional with the ability to work well with geographically dispersed, cross-functional teams in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to build and maintain relationships, successfully navigate an organization, and build consensus across multiple organizational levels.
- Ability to travel up to 30% of the time for meetings and industry events.
- Previous experience in various US ISO’s is a plus.
Essential Physical Abilities
- Ability to meet highest attendance requirements
- Ability to communicate effectively, both written and verbally.
- Ability to handle multiple assignments on a timely basis with a high degree of accuracy.
- Ability to use personal computer
- Could involve some lifting.
- Bachelor’s Degree required; Engineering, Business Administration or Economics or similar preferred.
- Prior development of energy storage, and/or renewable or transmission projects.
- Minimum 3 years of experience in business development or project management, strategy, or finance with at least 1 year in the power and energy sector
Work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is not exposed to weather conditions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
“All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, or other legally protected status”.
ENGIE North America Inc. encourages individuals to apply for open positions using the Apply Online button below. However, if you are unable to complete your application on-line you may mail your resume to our address: ENGIE North America Inc., Attn: Human Resources, 1990 Post Oak Boulevard, Suite 1900, Houston, TX 77056.