Backend Engineer | Populus | San Francisco, CA
Are you passionate about accelerating the growth of safe, sustainable, and equitable streets in cities across the globe? As a Backend Software Engineer at Populus, you’ll be joining a world-class team that is transforming transportation in cities. Populus empowers cities to manage their streets and curbs – with access to data from mobility operators such as shared bikes, scooters, and cars. The Populus platform serves over 80 cities around the world on 4 continents, as the trusted digital platform to manage the future of mobility.
As a Backend Engineer, you’ll be working on our Python-based APIs and data pipelines. We process spatial data using Postgres and PostGIS, orchestrated by Apache Airflow running on Google Cloud Platform. You’ll be joining a team that cares about shipping sustainable, tested solutions that assist in real-world transportation problems.
- Have 3+ years professional experience building backend APIs and/or data pipelines
- Experience crafting and tuning SQL queries using an ORM
- Experience writing HTTP APIs in a backend scripting language
- Experience writing data ingestion and processing pipelines
- Ready to quickly learn our stack, best practices, and codebase
- Comfortable working collaboratively on a team and communicating in team settings
Bonus Points If You Have
- Experience with Python and Python’s scientific computing ecosystem
- A background working with data and basic statistics
- Experience with GIS or have worked with spatial data
- Prior experience/ domain expertise in transportation or urban systems, or other domain which deals with large spatial datasets
- A bachelors in computer science, a related field, or equivalent technical experience
Send us your resume or LinkedIn profile and a few words on why you’re the right person for this role + why you’d like to work on helping us solve big transportation problems.
Populus helps cities and private mobility providers deliver safe, efficient, and equitable streets. The Populus platform is the only comprehensive digital solution that empowers cities to manage their streets and curbs – with access to data from mobility operators such as shared bikes, scooters, and cars. Founded by transportation PhDs from MIT and UC Berkeley, the Populus team brings together industry veterans who have spent their careers delivering innovation solutions for public agencies. The Populus platform serves over 80 cities around the world on 4 continents, as the trusted digital platform to manage the future of mobility. Learn more at populus.ai
Populus is committed to creating a diverse environment. We encourage women, people of color, and others who are underrepresented in the tech and transportation industries to apply. We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, age, national origin, disability status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.