New Energy Nexus, New York, NY
Who We Are
We are a soon-to-be launched not-for-profit business accelerator working to significantly speed the growth of the inclusive clean energy economy of New York State, and beyond. Our goal is to help fulfill the necessarily aggressive climate targets enacted by the City and State, by creating an ‘accelerator of excellence’ focused on scaling the best growth-stage clean energy companies from around the world. We will achieve this goal by assisting with business development, corporate partnerships, tailored technical support, and providing non-dilutive grants up to $500k per qualifying company looking to grow in New York. We are excited for our official launch in Spring 2020, and have big ambitions to contribute to the impressive and growing ecosystem we’re joining.
We are funded by the New York State Energy Research and Development Authority (NYSERDA), a public benefit corporation advancing clean, resilient, and affordable energy solutions for New Yorkers. We are a chapter of New Energy Nexus, an international non-profit organization that strives to achieve a 100% clean energy economy for 100% of the population in the shortest time possible by supporting diverse clean energy entrepreneurs with funds, accelerators, and networks. New Energy Nexus started in California as the California Clean Energy Fund and now operates programs in China, India, Southeast Asia, and East Africa.
About the Role
The Community Manager will be responsible for creating and sustaining a dynamic and engaged community in support of our mission to significantly speed the growth of the inclusive clean energy economy. This will include building a valuable and engaged community among the startups in the accelerator program, and among the wider community of interested innovators, entrepreneurs, not-for-profits, experts, creatives & investors, through innovative online and real-world activities.
The person in this role will also get to support and learn all aspects of the business, as an integral member of our small and nimble team building the accelerator from its inception. The Community Manager reports to the Accelerator Program Director, and will work closely with the Head of Strategic Communications and the Partnership Director.
We compensate competitively and offer medical, dental, and vision benefits. Our office is located in the heart of the Brooklyn Navy Yard, an innovative hub for entrepreneurs and creators. Unfortunately relocation assistance is not available.
The Ideal Candidate
We are looking for an individual whose passion is to be an integral part of defining and building a world-class clean energy accelerator from its inception. Someone with proven experience and an intuitive ability to build community, both in the real and virtual world. They would thrive in an early-stage environment by being a fast learner, tech-savvy, self-motivated, solution-oriented, resourceful and excited to jump in to learn and support all aspects of the business.
- Build and manage a strong and valuable community amongst the startups and alumni of the accelerator program
- Help prioritize, assign and address the individual needs of the start-ups as they move through the program
- Build and manage social media channels and outreach programs
- Help manage and execute summits, events, newsletters
- Support the Accelerator Program Manager as needed in the development and execution of the program design
- Support the Head of Strategic Communications as needed in the development and execution of brand building, outreach, and other execution
- Help with administrative and facilities management to ensure the smooth running of the organization
- Bachelor’s Degree with 3+ years experience working as a community manager or similar role building, serving and sustaining a network or community
- Experience planning, launching and executing community initiatives (e.g. building an online forum, launching an ambassador program, creating an event series, etc.)
- Experience in the clean energy, environment or sustainable business world
- Excellent communication skills; interpersonal, verbal and written
- Ability to identify and track relevant community KPIs
- Hands on experience with social media management
- Execution-focused with a sense of urgency, solutions oriented and resourcefulness in a lean, all-hands-on-deck work environment
How to Apply
We value and celebrate diversity among our employees and in our movement. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer – all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, family/marital status, or veteran status. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis. Short-listed candidates will be contacted for interviews.
To be considered, please submit your resume and a cover letter expressing your passion for the mission and why you’re right for the role to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: Community Manager [First Name] [Last Name].