Generate Capital, San Francisco, CA
Generate Capital is hiring a Managing Director to continue growing the market-leading portfolio of sustainable infrastructure projects – from thesis origination through deal execution and the management of third-party relationships. This role will provide clear leadership in an area of focus for us, managing a team of investment professionals and assuming a seat on our Investment Committee to help us drive our investment decisions and maximize returns for our shareholders. Reporting to the CEO, you will be a critical member of our leadership team and your work will be imperative to our ongoing success.
About Generate Capital
Generate Capital has emerged as a leader in the high-growth sustainable infrastructure market, having built a highly differentiated investment and operating platform with a track record of strong risk-adjusted returns and significant, long-term institutional investor support. The objective of our infrastructure business is to deliver the most affordable, reliable and sustainable resource systems to customers.
The last several decades have ushered in a dramatic rise in demand for natural resources like energy, water, food, and materials. We invest in what McKinsey is calling the “Resource Revolution:” doing more with less of our natural resources. Thanks to these increasingly mature resource-related technologies, distributed, networked infrastructure is the most cost-effective and reliable way to produce critical resources (energy, food, water, materials). We believe that we can solve the world’s most pressing resource issues – and we don’t need to reinvent the world to do so. We need to rebuild it. While some focus on finding new and revolutionary tools, we rebuild resource systems with the high-impact, economic, and proven solutions we have today.
Up until now, new energy asset finance (a $300B annual market) has been dominated by larger-scale projects that tend to attract traditional capital sources. Generate Capital, on the other hand, is focused on being a capital partner to pioneering project developers and solution providers that are typically overlooked by traditional financiers for a variety of reasons: asset size, underwriting complexity, project duration and perceived risk. As a long-term investor with truly permanent capital, Generate Capital is the only credible long-term partner for these pioneers and the best infrastructure provider for these resource customers.
With a $1OB pipeline of projects, completed transactions totaling over $2.5B and a utility-like, pay as you go model (which we call Infrastructure-as-a-Service™), Generate Capital has quickly established itself as a leader in the enormous markets of distributed energy, mobility, and water and waste management.
What you can expect from us:
- The ability to truly “do well by doing good”; indeed, we really are changing the world
- An opportunity to help build a cutting edge, values-driven organization that is leading the Resource Revolution and redefining the economics of distributed, sustainable infrastructure
- The integration of our values – integrity, collaboration, excellence, intellectual honesty, and accountability at all levels and with our many stakeholders
- An opportunity for entrepreneurship and leadership in building out and managing the company’s operational infrastructure and the teams to support it
- A commitment to your professional development, ongoing learning opportunities, and overall growth as a person
- The ability to work with a team with decades of collective experience financing and managing billions of dollars of sustainable infrastructure, leading successful startups, and growing great people
- Competitive pay and benefits
You are an entrepreneurial and driven investor with impeccable values, standard-setting empathy and a high speed mental clock; and you have consistently demonstrated that you are dedicated to making everyone around you better every day. You are committed to finding, structuring and closing the best deals in sustainable infrastructure, working with leading companies and our professionals to prove that sustainability pays better than unsustainability, and your good judgment has been a key to your successes. In fact, you can write this job description without our help or prompting.
What you will be doing at Generate Capital as a Managing Director:
- Original thesis generation
- Deal sourcing and screening
- Due diligence
- Managing and driving deal closing
- Relationship management with potential and current partners
- Building asset operations plans to achieve the business case and expected returns
Candidate requirements and qualifications:
- History of working in the renewable energy, with a deep understanding of renewable resource markets, lifecycles and technologies (including electricity markets, water markets, waste systems and agriculture)
- Strong executive presence with an ability to build trusted relationships with board members, partners, customers, lenders, service providers and investors
- A history of measurable achievements (i.e., track record) as an investor in Generate’s current and future focus sectors or sub-sectors including a demonstrated ability to consistently generate new investment ideas to produce attractive risk-adjusted returns
- Knowledge and track record of underwriting and structuring multiple investment securities, including project/sponsor equity, mezzanine debt, corporate equity, senior debt, tax equity, etc
- Proven track record of leadership demonstrated by a strong followership from junior colleagues and peers with exhibited success hiring, leading and motivating highly effective teams, ideally with experience managing multiple levels of people with diverse backgrounds and skill-sets
Strategy and Executive Team Collaboration
- Comfort with corporate strategy analysis frameworks and data-driven decision-making
- A willingness to constructively express dissent to senior executives and board members
- Ability to nimbly move between widely varying functions-analytical to creative; strategy to execution
- Ability to adjust quickly to evolving technology and market circumstances and comfort with the inevitable uncertainties involved in leading a pioneering, entrepreneurial firm
- Extremely deft communicator: listening, empathizing and communicating well with a range of audience types, especially customers and partners and navigating difficult, sometimes acrimonious situations to resulting in win-win solutions and deep, long-term business relationships
- Demonstrated ability to lead, inspire, and earn trust from others; become the organizational “glue” to deliver success, growth, and difficult change when necessary
- Entrepreneurial spirit exhibited through hustle, grit & resilience: flexibility to do whatever it takes, comfort with risk and the unknown, recognition that we’re never going to be perfect and that “perfect can be the enemy of the good”
- Has a strong network of leading professionals with whom the company would want to work and have as associates
- High level of self-awareness and humility, with excitement about confronting uncomfortable situations or new challenges
- Intellectual agility and curiosity, superb analytical skills; problem-solving is your default mode
- Commitment to enhance awareness about our values by example and motivate those around you to up their game
Apply for this Position:
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org