Generate Capital, San Francisco, CA
Generate Capital is hiring an Investment Analyst/ Associate to help underwrite and manage our growing portfolio of resource efficiency assets. The mission of this role is to support the structuring, financial analysis and due diligence on infrastructure investment programs that deliver attractive risk-adjusted returns in power, transport, water, waste and agriculture.
About Generate Capital
Generate Capital has emerged as a leader in the high-growth sustainable infrastructure market, having built a highly differentiated investment and operating platform with a track record of strong risk-adjusted returns and significant, long-term institutional investor support. The objective of our infrastructure business is to deliver the most affordable, reliable and sustainable resource systems to customers.
The last several decades have ushered in a dramatic rise in demand for natural resources like energy, water, food, and materials. We invest in what McKinsey is calling the “Resource Revolution:” doing more with less of our natural resources. Thanks to these increasingly mature resource-related technologies, distributed, networked infrastructure is the most cost-effective and reliable way to produce critical resources (energy, food, water, materials). We believe that we can solve the world’s most pressing resource issues – and we don’t need to reinvent the world to do so. We need to rebuild it. While some focus on finding new and revolutionary tools, we rebuild resource systems with the high-impact, economic, and proven solutions we have today.
Up until now, new energy asset finance (a $300B annual market) has been dominated by larger-scale projects that tend to attract traditional capital sources. Generate Capital, on the other hand, is focused on being a capital partner to pioneering project developers and solution providers that are typically overlooked by traditional financiers for a variety of reasons: asset size, underwriting complexity, project duration and perceived risk. As a long-term investor with truly permanent capital, Generate Capital is the only credible long-term partner for these pioneers and the best infrastructure provider for these resource customers.
With a $1OB pipeline of projects, completed transactions totaling over $2.5B and a utility-like, pay as you go model (which we call Infrastructure-as-a-Service™), Generate Capital has quickly established itself as a leader in the enormous markets of distributed energy, mobility, and water and waste management.
What you can expect from us:
- The ability to truly “do well by doing good”; indeed, we really are changing the world
- An opportunity to help build a cutting edge, values-driven organization that is leading the Resource Revolution and redefining the economics of distributed, sustainable infrastructure
- The integration of our values – integrity, collaboration, excellence, intellectual honesty, and accountability at all levels and with our many stakeholders
- An opportunity for entrepreneurship and leadership in building out and managing the company’s operational infrastructure and the teams to support it
- A commitment to your professional development, ongoing learning opportunities, and overall growth as a person
- The ability to work with a team with decades of collective experience financing and managing billions of dollars of sustainable infrastructure, leading successful startups, and growing great people
- Competitive pay and benefits
You are a highly analytical, hard-working and self-directed individual who is excited by the opportunity to work closely with the firm’s Investment Team on the evaluation, structuring and execution of transactions.
What you will be doing at Generate Capital as an Investment Analyst/Associate:
- Helping prepare investment memoranda by assembling data from multiple sources to develop and produce coherent investment recommendations
- Supporting the drafting and negotiation of investment term sheets and legal documents
- Conducting a detailed diligence process including managing external consultants and legal resources
- Preparing detailed project proformas and tranche models and performing sensitivity analyses
- Leading ongoing asset funding request and approval process
- Evaluating potential transactions by reading corporate pitch decks, analyzing project proformas and having introductory phone calls
- Performing market research for target investment sectors and preparing actionable presentations and reports that yield future investments
- Analyzing financial information relating to specific companies, e.g. company results, profit and loss, balance sheet and cash flow statements to determine how an organization is positioned to deliver for investors
Candidate requirements and qualifications:
- Strong work ethic and commitment to a high standard of excellence
- Superb analytical skills•
- Detail orientation and meticulousness with an uncompromising desire for timeliness and accuracy of data
- Proven ability to balance multiple assignments and manage quality, accuracy and consistency of each work product
- Ability to operate autonomously and exceed expectations despite minimal guidance
- Entrepreneurial spirit: flexibility to do whatever it takes and ability to succeed in ambiguous situations
- Proven ability to manage large workloads to meet strict deadlines
- Ability to synthesize and clearly communicate findings of analyses
- Resourceful and creative in approach to research and problem-solving
- Superior interpersonal skills
- Intellectual agility and curiosity
- Ability to work well in a dynamic and rapidly changing environment
- Proven ability to work with diverse groups of people in challenging and complex endeavors
- Unimpeachable character, strong values orientation, and a cultural fit with a rapidly growing investment firm
- 2-5 years of work experience with a strong preference for work in investment banking, management consulting, or private equity investing
- 2-5 years of rigorous financial modelling experience
- Bachelor’s degree with high academic achievement
- High proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, including Excel, PowerPoint, and Word
- Experience closing project finance transactions in the resource efficiency space
- Experience managing projects from start to finish
- Strong references from prior employers and peers
- Engineering or other technical degree a plus
Generate Capital is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against otherwise qualified applicants on the basis of actual or perceived race, color, creed, religion, ancestry, citizenship status, age, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, national origin, disability or handicap, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws.
Apply for this Position
Please e-mail email@example.com