Data Science / GIS Intern
EDF Innovation Lab, Los Altos, CA
Department: R&D Innovation Lab
Supervisor: Katie Lee, eMobility Lead
This 3-month temporary position is located in sunny Los Altos, CA.
EDF Innovation Lab (EDF IL)’s mission is twofold: first, to explore, analyze and research trends and disruptive technologies for EDF Group in North America, leveraging the innovation of Silicon Valley and building local partnerships; and second, to develop and test new markets, innovative businesses and services, to support EDF Group’s growth in decentralized, data-driven and low-carbon energy sectors.
A focus in the Lab is on new businesses around Electric Mobility. This topic includes research on electric vehicles, smart charging, autonomous vehicles, and micromobility, to name a few. This role would be working on a new project to develop mobility options as an add-on to EDF’s existing microgrid offer in developing countries. The position would involve further developing a tool used to determine optimal locations for microgrids. Primarily, you would work to collect data on a given region (GIS data on roads and streams, electricity access, etc) in order to feed it into the data model. This will be an exciting role for someone with strong data science skills and an interest in innovation in the eMobility and Energy Industry. The analyst will be a part of the EDF IL team and will have easy access to all of the Lab resources including people to support her/his work.
- Search for and quickly process GIS and other data from the web
- Develop intimate understanding existing tool in order to input data
- Further develop the (Python-based) tool to take into account new data
- Expertise in GIS and Python
- Ability to structure and deliver analyses with minimal supervision
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment
- Strong verbal and written communication skills (strong English skills required)
Education and Experience:
- Having or pursuing a degree (Master or Undergraduate) in data science, or other relevant field
- Experience and interest in the energy/eMobility industry appreciated (electric utilities, energy markets, power systems, economic and business development skills)
- May perform other duties assigned
How to Apply:
- Send a Resume/CV and Cover Letter to email@example.com