Clean Energy Alliance: Power Origination Manager
Power Origination Manager
Clean Power Alliance (CPA) is a new Community Choice Aggregation/Joint Powers Authority formed to provide electricity services to retail customers in Southern California. With 31 member agencies, CPA will be the largest CCA in California and 5th largest electric utility in the State, serving over three million residents and businesses though more than one million customer accounts.
CPA uses its market power to advance clean energy goals in a way that adheres to the local priorities of its member agencies. To further this mission, CPA is seeking a motivated and detail-oriented team member to lead power origination activities for CPA, under the supervision of the Director of Power Planning and Procurement.
This is a challenging opportunity to play a key role in restructuring Southern California’s energy market to rapidly reduce greenhouse gas emissions and provide local choice in energy supply and services. To be successful you must:
• Demonstrate good judgement and integrity
• Have high attention to detail with strong organizational skills
• Have strong project management skills
• Handle multiple priorities to meet deadlines and escalate key issues
• Work accurately and swiftly under pressure
• Communicate effectively, orally and in writing and the ability to translate complex technical
information into non-technical language
• Have a high tolerance for uncertainty but know how to bring things to resolution
• Have a strong work ethic befitting a start-up environment
The Power Origination Manager will be responsible for the procurement of energy resources, including conducting energy procurement solicitations, originating and negotiating short and mid-term structured transactions and power purchase agreements, and ensuring compliance with CPA’s Energy Risk Management Policy. Products include renewable and carbon free energy, conventional power, and resource adequacy.
Key duties include:
• Conduct procurement activities that contribute toward CPA’s target portfolio mix, comply with CPA’s hedging strategies, achieve regulatory and legislative targets, and maximize benefits for CPA’s customers
• Lead energy procurement solicitations, including soliciting offers, developing potential deal structures, negotiating pricing, and identifying new market opportunities
• Develop and manage relationships with counterparties by leading the origination and negotiation of Master Agreements (EEI, WSPP), confirmations, and other complex contracts
• Work closely with CPA’s internal procurement team members and portfolio management consultant to ensure coordination with CPA’s scheduling coordinator, front, mid and back-office functions
• Prepare reports and presentations for CPA’s Risk Management Team
• Respond to external data requests, and stay informed of state, local and federal regulatory policies and actions that impact energy and capacity procurement and emissions reporting
• Bachelor’s degree
• Seven (7) or more years of experience in functions related to contract origination, contract
negotiation, contract management, electricity trading/marketing, and/or project management
• Demonstrated experience in CAISO and North American electrical and gas markets
• Experience with energy, capacity, emissions, and/or Master Agreements (EEI, WSPP)
• Experience developing strategies for complex and competitive situations involving multiple
• Experience interacting with state, local and federal regulatory agencies
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to prepare reports and
present complex technical information to a wide audience, in non-technical language
• Experience using Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Access
Start Date: May 1, 2019
Salary and Benefits: CPA offers competitive salaries benchmarked against other CCAs and public agencies. Benefits include health care, a 401(k)-type match program for retirement, and progressive paid vacation/sick leave policies. This is not a civil service position.
Location: Downtown Los Angeles.
Culture: CPA fosters a culture of open communication, responsibility, and intellectual curiosity. As a small team seeking to build the largest CCA in California, high levels of trust and mission alignment will be key to individual and team success.
Commitment to Diversity: CPA is made up of geographically and socioeconomically diverse members and intends to build a staff reflecting that diversity. We are an equal opportunity employer and actively seek a diverse pool of candidates for all positions.
How to Apply: Candidates should send a resume with 3 references to firstname.lastname@example.org