Climate Law Institute
Position: Clean Transportation Advocate/ Staff Attorney
Location: Sacramento, Oakland, or Los Angeles California.
The Center for Biological Diversity seeks a full-time Clean Transportation Advocate/ Staff Attorney in our Climate Law Institute to join our bold and progressive campaign to advance the urgently needed transition away from fossil fuel vehicles to zero emissions transportation in California and around the country. This position is located in Sacramento, Oakland, or Los Angeles California.
The Climate Law Institute wages innovative legal and grassroots campaigns to protect people, wildlife and ecosystems from climate change and the dirty and dangerous fossil fuel industry. We work to eliminate greenhouse pollution and speed the just transition to 100 percent clean, renewable energy. With transportation as the largest contributing sector of greenhouse gas emissions in California and nation-wide, we have no time to lose to transition the country away from fossil fuel cars.
We seek an experienced and passionate advocate, strategic thinker, and coalition builder to join our Energy team in waging a bold and progressive campaign, through policy, legal and grassroots campaign efforts, to phase out fossil fuel transportation in California. This role will focus on building strategic political and legal support for this agenda. The position will require extensive policy and administrative advocacy, legal and policy research, litigation (as applicable), strategic campaign planning, coalition-building, and media outreach. Though a legal license and two or more years of legal practice in California is strongly preferred, it is not required; we seek a candidate who can be fluent and comfortable with vehicles policy. The successful candidate will join a dynamic and supportive team of campaigning, legal, science, organizing and communications staff in this fast-paced, exciting, challenging, and critically important work.
- Work with the Climate Law Institute’s Energy Team to design and implement strong-state level policies to phase out dirty fossil fuel transportation in California.
- Work with the Climate Law Institute’s Energy Team to develop and advance a long-term strategy to support bold and progressive clean transportation policy in California and nation-wide.
- Meet with government officials and staff on clean transportation policies, and grow and maintain those relationships.
- Publicly advocate for strong clean transportation policies in legislative and administrative hearings, including before air quality boards, the California Energy Commissions, and other decision-making bodies.
- Conduct extensive policy and legal research on clean transportation and renewables infrastructure, including drawing from international work.
- Litigate cutting-edge transportation cases (attorneys only).
- Work closely with partners engaged in the clean vehicles and fossil fuel phase-out space to work together to pursue our shared priorities. Help build an intersectional coalition that supports these top political priorities.
- Prepare communications including press releases, op-eds, factsheets, and white papers, on behalf of CBD
- Travel required.
Essential qualities, qualifications and skills:
- Minimum of two years experience in policy advocacy, with a preference for work on environmental or climate issues.
- Experience in clean vehicles policy and Clean Air Act advocacy or implementation strongly preferred.
- A legal license and at least two years of legal practice in California strongly preferred.
- Excellent policy and legal research and writing skills.
- Excellent oral advocacy skills, including public speaking experience and confidence.
- A demonstrated ability to work both independently and with a team.
- A demonstrated ability to take initiative and think creatively about policy and strategic campaigning.
- Experience in coalition-organizing and working with a diverse range of interest groups, including government, non-government, and business actors, as well as intersectional coalitions in the progressive advocacy space
- The ability to balance multiple tasks and deadlines in a busy environment.
- Experience with media outreach and interviews preferred.
- Willingness to travel, at times on short notice.
- Passion to fight climate change and environmental injustice.
- Paid generous medical, dental, vision, disability and life insurance
- 403(b) plan with opportunity for match
- Generous time-off policies
- Relaxed work atmosphere
Please apply by submitting a cover letter, resume, writing sample and 3-5 references to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The position will remain open until filled. No telephone calls, please. Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
The Center for Biological Diversity deeply values, and is committed to sustaining and promoting, both biological and cultural diversity. We welcome, embrace and respect diversity of people, identities and cultures. We are committed to fostering an organizational culture of diversity and inclusion. The Center believes staff and board diversity is critical to saving life on Earth.
We are an equal opportunity employer.