Position: Distributed Energy Policy Advocate/Staff Attorney
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
If you are passionate about accelerating the transition to a clean energy economy, come work with an innovative, nimble, and technically grounded organization to advocate for local energy solutions. The Clean Coalition combines policy design and advocacy with practical program and project development expertise to identify and overcome key barriers to local renewable energy.
The Clean Coalition is looking for a full-time Distributed Energy Policy Advocate/Staff Attorney to assist or lead policy initiatives to shape policy in forums such as the California Public Utilities Commission, the California Independent System Operator, or public utility commissions and system operators nationwide. The Distributed Energy Policy Advocate/Staff Attorney will:
● Research, draft, edit, and file comments, testimony, motions, and other documents with public utilities commissions and other decision makers, with supervision.
● Develop policy proposals to expand the use of local renewable energy and other distributed energy resources (DER), as well as advance grid modernization efforts.
● Draft white papers and develop presentations to move thought leaders and decision makers to address key needs.
● Actively participate in workshops, hearings, and renewable energy policy events to move opinion leaders and decision makers to implement the changes needed to unleash renewable energy.
● A Distributed Energy Policy Advocate/Staff Attorney with more expertise will have leadership responsibilities for the execution of strategy for campaigns, initiatives, and proceedings, while a more junior Distributed Energy Policy Advocate/Staff Attorney will work at the direction of senior staff.
- Clearly demonstrated experience, interest, or training in clean energy policy, law, or engineering.
- Demonstrated technical expertise in the electrical grid, economic modeling, or related areas would be especially welcome.
- Excellent academic background.
- Self-directed, highly motivated, and exceptionally organized.
- Excellent research and writing skills.
- High attention to detail and commitment to producing professional work.
- Proven ability to meet deadlines and work independently.
- JD or other graduate policy degree strongly preferred.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and Google Apps (Gmail, Google Calendar, Google Docs).
- Based in the San Francisco Bay Area or willing to move.
We anticipate hiring at least one Distributed Energy Policy Advocate/Staff Attorney with two years’ relevant experience or more to work with our policy team. Less experienced professionals may also fit the role with an exceptional energy and academic background.
Much of the work can be done from a home office, but there will be regular in-person work sessions, meetings, and events throughout the San Francisco Bay Area.
Please send a cover letter, resume, law or graduate school transcript, list of references, and short writing sample (under 10 pages) to Doug Karpa, Policy Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org. The subject line of the email should read “Distributed Energy Policy Advocate/Staff Attorney” and include your name.
About the Clean Coalition
The Clean Coalition is a nonprofit organization whose mission is to accelerate the transition to renewable energy and a modern grid through technical, policy, and project development expertise. We drive policy innovation to remove barriers to procurement and interconnection of DER — such as local renewables, energy storage, and demand response. We work to design and implement market mechanisms that realize the full potential of DER and to remove policy barriers that prevent the deployment of local renewables. Our policy work is grounded in our real-world experience collaborating with utilities, municipalities, project developers, and policymakers to stage projects that prove the technical and financial viability of local renewables and other DER. We leverage this experience in numerous proceedings before state and federal agencies throughout the United States.
Please log in to view user profiles.